garysimpson77

The software is superimposing data from my wife's W2 into my HSA form 8889. the form 8889 will not let me change the values.

In 2017, I had an HSA that was left over from 2016 and 2015.  In 2017, I did not have any company contributions to my HSA account as my job was eliminated in December 2016.  The software put in form 8889T that I had company contributions of $1100.00, My W2 in box 12 was blank.  It looks like it is picking up this value from my wife's W2 form.  On her form 8889S it shows $0.00 for employer contribution and on her W2 it shows $2300.00.

BMcCalpin

What I am seeing makes no sense (I guess you have the same feeling).

The first thing I would do in this short timeframe is to delete your W-2 information as well as your HSA information and re-enter it. Somehow TurboTax not only thinks that you (Gary) contributed 1,100 to his HSA but the 2,300 that Sandra contributed to her HSA through her employer has disappeared. And Gary has an excess contribution which may or may not be valid, but seems suspicious in itself.

If you auto-imported your W-2(s), sometimes this can cause spurious data.

Please do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview. 

Make sure that you mark each W-2 as belonging to the correct spouse, and also that when you are asked, that Sandra contributed only to her HSA, not split the contribution with Gary's (that's a few screens after you enter the W-2).