Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a Uber/Lyft driver my car required $4K of repairs before going on the road. Can I expense that deduction as "startup costs" ?

This is a personal car used 75% time for Uber/Lyft. And if I can use those expenses as startup can I use standard mileage deductions afterwards or do I need to stick with actual expenses all to way through deductions section?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

As a Uber/Lyft driver my car required $4K of repairs before going on the road. Can I expense that deduction as "startup costs" ?

The repair costs needed for your car before you started driving for Uber are not deductible. They do not qualify as start-up costs either.

Start-up costs include any amounts paid or incurred in connection with creating an active trade or business or investigating the creation or acquisition of an active trade or business.

If you start deducting actual costs for your vehicle. you cannot revert to the standard mileage rate in later years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The repair costs needed for your car before you started driving for Uber are not deductible. They do not qualify as start-up costs either.

Start-up costs include any amounts paid or incurred in connection with creating an active trade or business or investigating the creation or acquisition of an active trade or business.

If you start deducting actual costs for your vehicle. you cannot revert to the standard mileage rate in later years.

OK, thanks, 2 questions....1) So if in future my car needs repairs those are deductible as actual expense as long as I was involved in driving for either rideshare company?  2) Likewise I assume if you select standard mileage you are stuck with that method in future years? Or should I have asked these questions in new dialogue request?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you deduct actual costs, you can claim repair costs (related to the business use of your car).
You can switch to the actual method later if you start with the standard mileage method, but not the reverse.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies