turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The child under my supervision is 17 and just turned 17 in December he’s been under my supervision all year and doesn’t work why don’t he qualify for the child care tax break?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

The child under my supervision is 17 and just turned 17 in December he’s been under my supervision all year and doesn’t work why don’t he qualify for the child care tax break?

Are you providing support for this child?  Are they related to you?  

Here are two articles that will help you decide if this child is your dependent:  7 Requirements for the Child Tax Credit   What is the Child Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

One reason is they have to be UNDER 17 on Dec 31, 2019.  So he's too old.

Yes, ma’am he’s my young brother and has been living with me the past three years I have custody of him from the state this is the first time this has happened 

Is this a new rule regarding the child tax break because I’ve meet with people who claimed 18 year olds and still got the break 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

He should qualify for the child tax credit if he qualified in the previous year and nothing changed but his age. However, the child tax credit is only a maximum of $500 starting in the year the child turns 17. So, you may have the credit on your return, it may just be much smaller than you are used to. 

No it's always been that way for the Child Tax Credit.   See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-child-tax-credit/00/25961 

IRS publication 972 for Child Tax Credit,  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p972.pdf 

Look at it this way: when they were born (even if on Dec 31), you got the full $1000 for the whole first year, So, you got 17 years of the child tax credit.   

@ThomasM125   When they turn 17 they don't get the Child Tax Credit anymore.  Now they get the Credit for  Other Dependents.  

That’s what I thought but it keeps telling me he doesn’t qualify @ThomasM125 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Your child tax credit cannot be more than your taxable income, that could be a reason you aren't getting the credit. 

Otherwise, you should go back through the questions regarding your child to see if he is qualifying as your dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies