`
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Where do I deduct the self employment health insurance premiums on the 2018 forms?

My husband and I are self employed in an S corp.  I used to deduct health insurance premiums as an adjustment to income on page 1.  On the 2018 form that section no longer exists.  How do I take this deduction for 2018?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Where do I deduct the self employment health insurance premiums on the 2018 forms?

That is now on Schedule 1 (Line 29).

When you enter your K-1 form the corporation, it will ask you about health insurance, and you need to check that box and answer the followup questions, including re-entering Box 5 of your W-2 from the corporation.

Of course, this assumes that the corporation paid for the insurance, and that payment was added to Box 1 of your W-2.

As a side note, even though you may qualify for the "Self Employed Health Insurance deduction", you are not self employed.  You are employees of the corporation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

That is now on Schedule 1 (Line 29).

When you enter your K-1 form the corporation, it will ask you about health insurance, and you need to check that box and answer the followup questions, including re-entering Box 5 of your W-2 from the corporation.

Of course, this assumes that the corporation paid for the insurance, and that payment was added to Box 1 of your W-2.

As a side note, even though you may qualify for the "Self Employed Health Insurance deduction", you are not self employed.  You are employees of the corporation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1

Just a heads up the check box is in the other situations slide as you navigate through the K-1 entry.Capture.PNG