turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took care of a 3yr old child in my household that's not my child the whole year. Can I claim this child an not have any problems with the IRS holding my tax money?

Is there any proof or anything I need to show this child was in my household? An what do I list the child as since its not mine?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I took care of a 3yr old child in my household that's not my child the whole year. Can I claim this child an not have any problems with the IRS holding my tax money?

You can claim the child if all rules below are met:

• No other taxpayer can claim them as dependents  (such as the child's parents)
  • They lived for the entire year with you, and
  • You paid more than half for their support. 

You don't have to submit any proof with your tax return, but you do need one in case you are audited.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You can claim the child if all rules below are met:

• No other taxpayer can claim them as dependents  (such as the child's parents)
  • They lived for the entire year with you, and
  • You paid more than half for their support. 

You don't have to submit any proof with your tax return, but you do need one in case you are audited.

Thanks. What would I list the child as since it's not my child biologically?
Manage cookies