turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a 1099-S for a property sold out of state?

I purchased a house several years ago with the intention to rent it out, but due to shady contractors, I was unable to get it rent ready so it was never rented. I subsequently sold the property for a loss. 

As a result of the sale, I received a 1099s for the sale, but I wasn't sure how to enter this into TurboTax. I received a previous answer to enter it as an investment, but that doesn't flow into the Maryland State return in TurboTax. 

How would I account for the 1099s and reflect that I sold the investment property for a loss? 

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Thanks for the response, but since this isn't my main home, I have to use the links described as "Other Real Estate Sales." I initially tried to use the first link (i.e., second home), but when I go through the prompts, one of the questions asks whether it was an investment and when I select that (i.e., I bought this house for the sole purpose of an investment as I live 3k miles away and never visit Maryland), it tells me not to use the "Second Home" as the category. It says to use the "Other" category. But when I use the other category, it provides no prompts to indicate the 1099s details and thus doesn't flow into my Maryland state tax return as income. The other category lets me just add my purchase date, sale date, basis and sale price, but no other details that would otherwise flow into the out of state tax return.

The second link (i.e., rental property) is not valid because the property was never placed into service (other TurboTax community members have answered indicating as such). Finally, the third link is not applicable as this is not timber related.

Is there any other way I should be entering this because the links don't exactly fit my situation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies