turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use box 12 DD for my 'contributions to a High Deductible Health Plan' when preparing my GA state tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I use box 12 DD for my 'contributions to a High Deductible Health Plan' when preparing my GA state tax return?

No, the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction includes only the HDHP premiums that are not already accounted for on the federal return.

However, since the HDHP premiums are normally not taxed at the federal level (they are reported with code "DD" in box 12 on the W-2), you don't need to enter them on the Georgia return, because this effect carries through to the Georgia income for state purposes from the federal return.

Therefore, you are unlikely to need to enter anything in this field on the Georgia return.

The Georgia instructions say

"The amount [for the premium and HSA expenditures] may only be deducted to the extent the deduction has not been included in federal adjusted income and the expenses have not been provided from a health reimbursement arrangement and have not been included in itemized deductions." See the Georgia instructions.

Thank you!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies