turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stechman

How exactly do we handle writing off startup expenses for dog grooming equipment and supplies?

We purchased equipment both before and after we began taking clients. Some of this equipment is expected to last for several years (i.e., grooming table, clippers...), while other items are consumable supplies (i.e., shampoos). Initially, I categorized all of these expenses as Schedule C: Supplies (not from COGS) in Quicken, but I realize now that much of the equipment may be considered depreciable assets. What is the best way to handle this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

How exactly do we handle writing off startup expenses for dog grooming equipment and supplies?

You are now (since 2015) allowed to treat the purchase of assets that cost $2,500 or less (per asset, not in total) as expenses in the year purchased.

This is considered the de minimis exception by the IRS.

However, if any of your purchases were for items that will last several years and cost more than $2,500, they should be reported as fixed assets and depreciated.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyT

You are now (since 2015) allowed to treat the purchase of assets that cost $2,500 or less (per asset, not in total) as expenses in the year purchased.

This is considered the de minimis exception by the IRS.

However, if any of your purchases were for items that will last several years and cost more than $2,500, they should be reported as fixed assets and depreciated.

stechman

Thank you very much for this information. Given that none of our equipment cost more than $2,500, what should they be classified as on our schedule C? Or is this ultimately not important (i.e., can they be classified as Supplies (not from COGS) as they are currently)?
AmyT

I would probably call them something like "supplies" or maybe "small equipment".  The exact description is not particularly important, but it should be consistently treated from year to year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies