turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Phillip99

Why can't I deduct the sales tax I paid on my new car?

Do I have to itemize to take the sales tax deduction? I'm putting in my new car purchase into Turbotax, and Turbotax tells me "Based on what you've told us, the sales tax deduction will give you the maximum refund on your taxes this year." But my refund amount doesn't change, and then in later steps it ends up telling me that the standard deduction is best for me. Why can't I deduct the sales tax I paid on my new car?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The sales tax deduction is an itemized deduction on Schedule A. On Schedule A, you can either deduct sales tax or state tax. As your sales tax is higher than your state tax, TurboTax recommended that you choose sales tax instead of state tax, hence the first message.

However, as the total of your itemized deductions is smaller than your standard deduction, you are better off using the standard deduction. You did not get the benefit of your sales tax deduction but using the standard deduction will give you a larger tax break.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The sales tax deduction is an itemized deduction on Schedule A. On Schedule A, you can either deduct sales tax or state tax. As your sales tax is higher than your state tax, TurboTax recommended that you choose sales tax instead of state tax, hence the first message.

However, as the total of your itemized deductions is smaller than your standard deduction, you are better off using the standard deduction. You did not get the benefit of your sales tax deduction but using the standard deduction will give you a larger tax break.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Phillip99

Thank you for the thorough explanation. It was very helpful!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies