turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cginelli

Can I import from Its deductible into 2018 Turbo Tax Deluxe Online? All data is now in itsdeductible do I have to redo all in Turbo Tax Deluxe online?

TurboTax Deluxe 2018 online help via search tool indicates you can import from ItsDeductibleOnline and provides instructions that do not match up with options or actions presented in Turbo Tax Deluxe 2018.  I see no way to now import my hours of hard work performed in ItsDeductible for use in my Turbo Tax return!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I import from Its deductible into 2018 Turbo Tax Deluxe Online? All data is now in itsdeductible do I have to redo all in Turbo Tax Deluxe online?

Here are 4 ways you can get to the interview screen to import from ItsDeductible.  See which one works for you.

While all 4 methods work for me, I tend to favor Method 3, since it shows the list of all topics as you enter the search term.   The 2 "jump methods" are more picky and have to be done exactly right.

Method 1:  (screen image #1)

• When the return is open, click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • In the search box, enter the term itsdeductible ( one word, without quotes) and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  (see screen image 1)
  • Then click the “Jump to itsdeductible” link in the search results. 
  • Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2018? 
  • The next screen will ask if you have an ItsDeductible account.  Answer Yes.
  • Follow the instructions and import your donations.

Method 2:  (screen image #2)

Same as first method above, but in the Search box enter donations (without quotes), and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  Then click "Jump to donations."

Method 3:  (screen image #3)

• With the return open, click in the left menu column on Tax Tools, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window click the blue button Topic Search. 
  • Enter the word itsdeductible without quotes, highlight the selection, and click GO.
  • Next screen asks:   "Did you make any donations to charity in 2018?"
  • When you say "yes", the next screen is:  "Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"
  • Say "yes" and continue the interview.
Method 4 :  (screen image #4)
  • Using regular navigation go to Federal Taxes tab, then the Deductions & Credits section. 
  • Scroll down and look for a link that says "All Tax Breaks".  Click that to expand, then you will see all deduction topics and subtopics. 
  • Or you may encounter a button that says "Jump to full list" that will take you to "All Tax Breaks." 
  • Or you may see a link "Skip to see all tax breaks" that will take you to the full list.

NOTE:  If you are using the navigation method and try other navigation routes, you may not see the ItsDeductible option in that Donations section. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Keyssandi

Why doesn't TT tell us that the on line version is much less user friendly than the CD.  I changed to online last year because I had a computer crash and had a tough time restoring my last years files. Because I had so much stock back history I really didn't want to start over.  There are no options listed to import "It's Deductible" and no way to jump to a form to see if it's correct without printing it.  Not happy at all with the 2018 version.
Keyssandi

I just managed to import Its Deductible . After shutting down my computer in disgust last night,  it took me to it with no problem today.    The interview screen was entirely different this time and I have no clue why but I'm not complaining.  Thank you one and all for your input.

Here are 4 ways you can get to the interview screen to import from ItsDeductible.  See which one works for you.

While all 4 methods work for me, I tend to favor Method 3, since it shows the list of all topics as you enter the search term.   The 2 "jump methods" are more picky and have to be done exactly right.

Method 1:  (screen image #1)

• When the return is open, click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • In the search box, enter the term itsdeductible ( one word, without quotes) and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  (see screen image 1)
  • Then click the “Jump to itsdeductible” link in the search results. 
  • Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2018? 
  • The next screen will ask if you have an ItsDeductible account.  Answer Yes.
  • Follow the instructions and import your donations.

Method 2:  (screen image #2)

Same as first method above, but in the Search box enter donations (without quotes), and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  Then click "Jump to donations."

Method 3:  (screen image #3)

• With the return open, click in the left menu column on Tax Tools, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window click the blue button Topic Search. 
  • Enter the word itsdeductible without quotes, highlight the selection, and click GO.
  • Next screen asks:   "Did you make any donations to charity in 2018?"
  • When you say "yes", the next screen is:  "Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"
  • Say "yes" and continue the interview.
Method 4 :  (screen image #4)
  • Using regular navigation go to Federal Taxes tab, then the Deductions & Credits section. 
  • Scroll down and look for a link that says "All Tax Breaks".  Click that to expand, then you will see all deduction topics and subtopics. 
  • Or you may encounter a button that says "Jump to full list" that will take you to "All Tax Breaks." 
  • Or you may see a link "Skip to see all tax breaks" that will take you to the full list.

NOTE:  If you are using the navigation method and try other navigation routes, you may not see the ItsDeductible option in that Donations section. 

I have spent hours on the phone with TT support about this. Here is what we came up with. In order for you to import all your hard work from Its Deductible into TurboTax Deluxe Online, both of these services must share the same User ID/Password. If you have setup a User ID/Password for It's Deductible so you could input your donations all year, THEN you created a second and different User ID/Password for your tax return, the two will NOT be able to communicate. TT support found NO WAY to change one of the User ID/Passwords so they could match and allow communication. However, when you use TT CD Products or TT Download Products the two will work together. When you get to the point of downloading your donations from Its Deductible, the TT program will ask for the User ID/Password of your It's Deductible Account. Go ahead and enter the information and follow the prompts. You should be all set. If you have already paid for TT Deluxe Online, you should get a refund. You need the CD or Online Product. NONE of this is explained in TurboTax or Its Deductible. I suggested to TT support that both products communicate the best way to use these products so they communicate AS EXPECTED. Better yet, they should create ways for people who end up with two separate User IDs/Passwords to fix the situation so the products can also communicate online. I hope this helps you. 

cginelli

THank you for your response and answer and further identifying the disconnect within the Inuit family of products.  I actually was able to import, finally after one last ditch search through the help forum.  There was a response from last years filing season that offered four methods and recommended the third which I used.  It involved opening the return and then the deduction topic then using the "tool" function on the left margin menu to navigate to itsdeductible for import -- it worked!  Also my account logins where the same so no issue there.  This was a very frustrating problem and cost me several hours of lost time.

Thank you! I remember doing it last year, but until I read your answer, I successfully imported all my donations.

Thank you for the comment!  Without that secret, hidden information, I would have been unable to import my donations from ItsDeductible to the TT Deluxe Online return.

I have turbotax deluxe and did not find ItsDeductible under tools in the left box. I'm still without an answer to importing the work I did all year!!!
vadave7

I agree Mike - this product piece of shit - bogus instructions - this product ok for very simple returns but people could do them on their own rather than paying Intuit. Ripoff company.
Keyssandi

I have Premier TT online version,--Cannot find any way to import Its Deductible.  None of the options in the answers given are available to me.  I have had nothing but problems with the 2018 online version so far.
THESE ARE THE ONLY THINGS LISTED UNDER "TAX  TOOL"
" View Tax Summary
Clear & Start Over
Delete a form
Save your 2018 return to your computer
Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer
File an extension
Share my file with Agent"

keyssandi
I just left a new answer on this page, so you won't have to go to my other page as I earlier indicated here.  I've posted 4 methods on how to do it above.

I also posted the screen images above.

By the way, you are not using the TAX TOOLS method correctly.  If you are using the "Tax Tools"/Tools method, then  when you open the Tools window look for 4 big blue buttons.   In the Tools window you have to click on the blue button TOPIC SEARCH --don't use anything from that list you typed above.  The buttons are above that list.  Click on the blue button TOPIC SEARCH.  There are a couple more steps after that as I described in my Answer above.    Plus there are 3 other methods and screen images in my Answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies