Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tenant Earthquake Retrofit Expenses

As a tenant in Los Angeles I have to pay monthly my landlord a portion of their expenses for Earthquake retrofit expenses. The landlord can collect this fee from their tenants for 10 years after the retrofit.

Can I, as a tenant, deduct these expenses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

It appears that you cannot deduct this expense.  With regard to tenants, this appears to be simply a rent increase that would otherwise not be permitted under local rent control.

It appears that various bills have been introduced in the California legislature to provide some kind of state tax credit for these expenses, but none has been signed into law as far as I can tell.  Looking at the current legislation in committee, https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB234, it also seems that the credit would be provided to only building owners, in part for amounts not passed on to tenants that otherwise could be passed on, not a credit to tenants.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you have a home office or run a business out of  the property part would be deductible,   entirely opersonal - nothing deductible - just more rent expense.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies