Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do building permit fees and expenses that I paid for my client get shown as expenses. They reimbursed me for the fees and included that as income on the 1099

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do building permit fees and expenses that I paid for my client get shown as expenses. They reimbursed me for the fees and included that as income on the 1099

The easiest way to treat this is treating the reimbursement as allowances. Being that you received a 1099 Misc income, it make sense to report the 1099 as income and then the  reimbursement as allowances to arrive at any net income. This way, it helps make your tax return more clean when you report the 1099 Misc as a separate item.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I will look into where to include expenses as allowances.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

In the self-employment section just allocate the expenses you paid to the appropriate categories under expenses.  

eho
Returning Member

Still couldn't understand what do I do with all these fees I got reimbursed for. I do not post them as income, but instead list them as some sort of allowance? what is this and where do I do this? Or  they are just part of income that I list as expense? Than what category they fall into? Taxes and licenses? or Legal and Professional Fees?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If the fees were included in your income, then you can deduct them. The correct category would be "Taxes and Licenses."

BLC Renos
Returning Member

This is very helpfull thank you. Do you know which is the best way to expense subscriptions to software such as AutoCAD, client scheduling apps or Construction calculators. Either paid monthly or annually. I am not talking about purchasing the license but subscribing to it, is this leasing? 

Carl
Level 15

@BLC Renos you already posted at https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/claiming-monthly-or-annual-softw... and from the looks of that post, it would appear you are posting in the TurboTax U.S. support forum, when you need to be asking your questions in the TurboTax Canada support forum.

Please, only post once in a forum. Otherwise, it leads to confusion that can result in conflicting responses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies