turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am a independent contractor and use my personal vehicle to perform the work but have not created a business I own to perform the work under, can I deduct car mileage?

In the area where you indicated the date you stopped using the vehicle for business, choose 'converted to 100% personal use' rather than a sale, since it was scrapped. 

You can still use your 8/13/2021 date.

Click this link for useful info on Using a Vehicle for Business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jgarcia3053
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am a independent contractor and use my personal vehicle to perform the work but have not created a business I own to perform the work under, can I deduct car mileage?

What if the vehicle that I use is in the name of my parent or boyfriend.  Can I still claim the standard mileage deduction or do I have to have every expense receipt?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You can generally only deduct vehicle expenses that are related to a car that you own or lease.

You can’t deduct expenses for a car owned by a boyfriend or parent.

@jgarcia3053

JOSOLDIT

Question, either of these choices give me such a high deduction is there a way to minimize this deduction?

so here is my question:
   Im self employed I have a home office, i also am a independent contractor, i hire out my self as contract labor to a Gutter installing company. i drive my vehicle to his shop, and then get in his vehicle to go to Gutter jobs that he needs me on, we also from time to time work around the shop, building fences, roof work, building things in his shop, i am paid as a 1099 misc , my question is can i deduct my Mileage from my "Home Office" my Bussiness to his shop?
 I also have a Farm and a Home services company that i run out of my home.

I'm not an expert, but I have been a 1099 contractor for many years and researched the topic fairly extensively. I would say you would have a hard time proving to the IRS that you are a private contractor--at least in this particular case. You are working his schedule, using his equipment (vehicle), etc. That sounds like an employee to me and it sounds like the 1099 contract is just an (illegal) excuse not to pay employment related taxes. Here is a quote from the IRS website (via a secondary website): 

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. 

There are likely other rules that would make your mileage deduction illegitimate.

If you were setting your own schedule, driving your own vehicle to the site, using you own tools, etc. Then you would likely be considered a sub-contractor and could, indeed, claim mileage, even if you had to show up at his shop to get materials, job information, etc.

I hope this helps

TomD8
Level 15

@sevenkidsdad --

Per IRS Publication 463:

"If you have an office in your home that qualifies as a principal place of business, you can deduct your daily transportation costs between your home and another work location in the same trade or business."
(See Pub. 587, Business Use of Your Home, for information on determining if your home office
qualifies as a principal place of business.)

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Marc54

Hello, I am a Umpire for slow pitch softball. I received a Form 1099-NRC. I input the information in Turbotax. Where do I go to input my deductions for my services??

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

If you mean that you received a Form 1099-NEC for your services as an Umpire, your income and expenses  will be reported on a Schedule C. Follow the steps below:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self-employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2022 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  4. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  5. Select the form that applies to your situation and select Continue
  6. You can enter the info from your 1099 form on the following screens

For more information, please review the TurboTax Help articles How do I report income from self-employment? and Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies