Stimulous payment

VBoddicker

Stimulous payment

My granddaughter was claimed on her parents tax return for 2019.  She is on her own now and her parents will not be claiming her as an independent.  Her parents got a stimulus check in 2019 which included her since they claimed her.  She didn't receive one of her own. 

The program asks if she got a stimulus check in 2019.  She didn't because her parents got it.  So how do I answer?  Do I say she DID or DIDN'T get a stimulus check in 2019?

Stimulous payment

She didn't get it.  Enter zero in the boxes. She can claim it on her own tax return if she qualifies for 2020. That's ok if her parents already got it.  Nobody will owe it back.  That's common.  

Bsch4477

Stimulous payment

I assume she is filing her own return and can’t be claimed as a dependent by anyone. In that case she would answer that she did not get the stimulus. 

VBoddicker

Stimulous payment

Thank you.   I thought I was answering correctly and by doing that it bumped her refund from $1277 to over $2800.  She's going to be shocked.  I'm not sure I completely understand this, but if you think she should answer "no.....she did not receive the stimulus" even though her parents did.

Stimulous payment

Yes she would get the 1,200 for the first one and 600 for the second Stimulus payment.  Should be 1,800 on 1040 line 30.  

VBoddicker

Stimulous payment

OK.  I just wanted to make sure because with her being in college I didn't want to make a mistake and then she'd have to pay it back.  😀 

I see Level 15 by your name.  Are you affiliated with Turbo Tax as an "expert"?

VBoddicker

Stimulous payment

Thank you!

Stimulous payment

No.  I am just another user like you.  I volunteer here.  Been answering questions for many many years.