turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you deduct business expenses without a license?

My husband received a 1099-misc for fixing trucks for a commercial business. We would like to be able to deduct the parts that are part of this income but it won't allow us unless we upgrade to the business addition. My husband does not hold a business license so I'm not sure if that would work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChelsiE2

You should file a Schedule C.  You do not need to have a business license to file a Schedule C.  If your husband has made income that has been reported to him on a Form 1099-MISC and this income is in his typical line of work, this income will be subject to Self Employment Taxes (15.3%) in addition to being taxed at your Federal Tax Rate.  

If you deduct the expenses related to this income via a Schedule C, every dollar you add of expense will be one less dollar of income that is subject to the Self Employment Tax and the Federal Income Tax.  

For more information on the Schedule C:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302122

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I am trying to add that we gave some of the money back. Everytime I fill this portion out and press continue it does not keep the money value.
ChelsiE2

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you are saying?  You gave some of the money back that has been reported to you on Form 1099-MISC?
ChelsiE2

You should file a Schedule C.  You do not need to have a business license to file a Schedule C.  If your husband has made income that has been reported to him on a Form 1099-MISC and this income is in his typical line of work, this income will be subject to Self Employment Taxes (15.3%) in addition to being taxed at your Federal Tax Rate.  

If you deduct the expenses related to this income via a Schedule C, every dollar you add of expense will be one less dollar of income that is subject to the Self Employment Tax and the Federal Income Tax.  

For more information on the Schedule C:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302122

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies