flamingape75

Someone claimed my dependent

My daughter,  who lived in California for the past 3+ yrs, claimed my granddaughter.  I've been the guardian of my granddaughter during this time. I tried to e-file my 2020 tax returns but was denied due to her claiming her. Followed the instructions and mailed a paper return. It's been since April and I haven't heard from the irs. I got my refund but now what? Never received any stimulus for her either. She's 5 if it makes a difference. 

Nick-K-EA

Someone claimed my dependent

If there is a dispute over who is entitled to claim a dependent, the IRS has a process for resolving the dispute. Even in normal times, that takes a long time, and we're still not in normal times. Until the dispute is resolved, the IRS isn't going to pay you stimulus or advance child tax credit.

Nick K, EA

Nick-K-EA

Someone claimed my dependent

Nick K, EA
flamingape75

Someone claimed my dependent

Ok. So just a waiting game. Thank you.