turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sole Owner S Corp purchased vehicle cash out of company earnings under company name. Unsure how to correctly report this in 1120S next year without double-dipping.

I suspect I'll be getting a tax break for depreciation but also my net income will be reduced due to the cash purchase. Is this the right way to go about it? It is my 1st time going through this and not an expert by any means so appreciate if you can guide me through the math and mechanics of this. Vehicle is a Tesla Model S. 

On a related note, should I plan to depreciate the vehicle longer than 5 years based on the below? 

The maximum depreciation allowances for passenger vehicles placed in service in 2018 are:

• $10,000 for the first year (or $18,000 if first-year bonus deprecation is claimed),
  • $16,000 for the second year,
  • $9,600 for the third year, and
  • $5,760 for the fourth year and beyond until the vehicle is fully depreciated.

Thank you so much. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sole Owner S Corp purchased vehicle cash out of company earnings under company name. Unsure how to correctly report this in 1120S next year without double-dipping.

class life for vehicles is 5 years.....turbotax computes the deduction for depreciation you only have to enter the cost.

Anonymous
Not applicable

your may be missing out on a big item the EV credit

The following federal income tax credits are available to anyone who purchases a new Tesla Model S:

Federal Tax Credit For Vehicles Delivered
$7,500 On or before December 31, 2018
$3,750 January 1 to June 30, 2019
$1,875 July 1 to December 31, 2019

the S-Corp passes the credit through to the shareholder

the basis of the vehicle must be reduce by the credit before you take depreciation

depreciation is prorated based on business mileage to total mileage as are the any other expenses related to the vehicle .

if you drive from home to the Corp's place of business that's commuting (non-business) mileage

The IRS tends to be strict in its documentation requirements for business mileage deductions. For this reason, you'll need to keep a thorough, accurate mileage log each year you attempt to claim a deduction.

Your mileage log must include the starting mileage on your vehicle's odometer at the beginning of the year and its ending mileage at the conclusion of the year. Each time you use your vehicle for business purposes, you must record the following information:

The date of your trip
Your starting point
Your destination
The purpose of your trip
Your vehicle's starting mileage
Your vehicle's ending mileage
Tolls or other trip-related costs
You can keep a mileage log in a notebook and update it by hand, or use a spreadsheet to continuously track your mileage. You can also use a mileage-tracking app. The key is to update your records regularly to ensure that they're precise. Additionally, the IRS requires you to keep your mileage log for three years from the date on which you file the income tax return containing your deduction.

failure to have proper documentation would put you at the mercy of the IRS agent if the Corp is audited.

the amounts you have below are correct if this is a 2018 purchase. they're slightly higher is 2019 purchase    

as you can see an expensive vehicle takes a long time to be fully depreciated 

TT calculates the depreciation based on what you enter for date acquired, cost,   type of vehicle (A1-auto)

whether you elect out of 100% bonus to 50% bonus or none at all (election applies to all items in that class vehicles are in the 5 year class so if you elect out and have other property you bought in 2018 that is in the 5 year class, the same bonus election will apply to them

since this is the first year you'll have  an S-Corp and need to prepare a return for it, I strongly advise consulting a pro to do the first year.  I hope your referring to a 2019 first year because if the business started in 2018, the return was probably due 9/15/2019

the pro can advise you of things you may be overlooking  such as

how to handle start up expenses

the need to take  a salary and file payroll tax returns

perhaps your state requires you to carry workmen's compensation insurance - you are an employee of the S-Corp - no independent contractor status  

if first year is a loss any possible limitations of deducting the full loss on your tax return - basis and at risk 

if you have medical insurance - how to get a deduction on page 1 of your 1040 rather than as a medical expense deductible only on schedule A

and these are just a few of the things you need to be aware of

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies