Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkayner1

Do I need to include the following sale in my tax return? My parents and I sold a home. I did not receive any income from the sale.

My parents purchased the home in 2000. My name was included in the purchase because I was to live there while attending college. They sold the house this year. I have not been paying the mortgage, property taxes or anything on the house. I received no money from the sale. The proceeds were deposited into my parents' account. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

Do I need to include the following sale in my tax return? My parents and I sold a home. I did not receive any income from the sale.

Since you have no financial gain or loss from this home and did not receive any funds for the sale,                             there is nothing for you to report. 

Also, you do not need to report the sale unless you receive a 1099-S. However, since you received no money for the sale, this would be unusual.

The following article may give you some more valuable information on the sale of a house:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/tax-aspects-of-home-ownership-selling-a-home/L6t...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

Since you have no financial gain or loss from this home and did not receive any funds for the sale,                             there is nothing for you to report. 

Also, you do not need to report the sale unless you receive a 1099-S. However, since you received no money for the sale, this would be unusual.

The following article may give you some more valuable information on the sale of a house:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/tax-aspects-of-home-ownership-selling-a-home/L6t...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies