Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e0066334

Since i have a 1099-SA distribution amt entered should I have included all medical expenses paid including HSA? I only listed non-HSA expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Since i have a 1099-SA distribution amt entered should I have included all medical expenses paid including HSA? I only listed non-HSA expenses.

You have two choices:

1. Enter the original medical bills (all of them) in the Medical Expenses interview, then enter the insurance reimbursements at the end when TurboTax asks (the HSA reimbursements from the 1099-SA are subtracted automatically), or

2. Enter the net medical expenses (i.e., net of insurance reimbursements) and a single entry for the bills covered by the HSA in Medical Expenses, with the description of "bills covered by HSA distributions" and the amount in box 1 on the 1099-SA. You would enter the description and the amount at the end of the Medical Expenses interview as a miscellaneous expense.

Since many taxpayers enter only the net medical expenses (not realizing that the subtraction of the HSA distributions is automatic), #2 is easier for most. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies