turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hiddencat

Since COVID-19 is a federally qualified major disaster for my state, does that mean I live in a Qualified Disaster Area?

My state and county list COVID-19 as a Major Disaster Declaration. Does that mean I life in a Qualified Disaster Area? The "learn more" button doesn't really answer that question.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Since COVID-19 is a federally qualified major disaster for my state, does that mean I live in a Qualified Disaster Area?

no it has to b a federally declared disaster area and I don't know of any area that has so declared due to Covid.

That’s a surprisingly complex question to answer. It appears that the coronavirus is a federal disaster under certain sections of the tax law but not a qualified natural disaster under certain other sections of the tax law.  For example, the coronavirus by itself, does not entitle you to take a casualty or theft loss. Those losses are limited to federally qualified natural disasters and you can see a list of them here.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-relief-in-disaster-situations

There are of course, a number of special tax relief provisions specifically for the coronavirus, including the ability to defer taxes on withdrawals from retirement plans needed to pay for coronavirus expenses and the ability to make repayment to those retirement plans within three years instead of 60 days.

Answer carefully the TurboTax questions about your 1099-R (if any), which will weave you  through these nuances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies