Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dj2
Level 3

Shouldn't the total HSA contributions reported on my tax return always match with the sum total of Box 2 and Box 3 on Form 5498-SA?

TL:DR  Here goes nothing. I never understood Form 5498-SA. I basically asked this question years ago and the reply I received was  that Form 5498-SA is for information purposes only.  So if that's the case, let me use this hypothetical example filing for tax year 2019:

Box 2  lists the total HSA contributions made in 2019
however note that the amount reported in Box 2 is for the calendar year (Jan. 1, 2019 - Dec. 31, 2019)

Box 3 lists the total HSA contributions made in 2020 for tax year 2019
I make my own contributions. My employer plays no part with the HSA. Now that info is out of the way,  
Let's say Box 2 is $900
Let's say in Box 3 is $300
And of that $900 made in calendar year 2019, there was $500 applied to contributions in tax year 2018. Therefore I didn't report that $500 on the tax return for 2019. What I did report on my tax return is the difference of $900 - $500 = $400 plus the amount of $300 in Box 3. So the total deduction for contributions to the HSA reported on my 2019 tax return was $700.

Since the Trustee of my HSA submits this info to the IRS, they see my $700 deduction reported on Form 8889, and Form 5498-SA reports a sum total of  Boxes 2 and 3 of $1,200 for contributions applied for 2019.
So if Form 5498-SA is for information purposes only, how does the IRS know I haven't broken rules? I could theoretically report an amount of on my tax return for contributions applied to 2019 that aren't even true (not that I would, I'm just saying).  There isn't is another official IRS Form that I'm aware of which exists for 2019's tax return.

This happens every. single.tax.year.with contribution amounts reported on Form 5498-SA incorrect because Box 2 reports the contributions made for the entire calendar year regardless of the fact a portion of the total amount was applied to a previous tax year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Shouldn't the total HSA contributions reported on my tax return always match with the sum total of Box 2 and Box 3 on Form 5498-SA?

Your understanding of the entries on those two boxes is correct.

However, the IRS designed both the 8889 and the 5498-SA so presumably (knock on wood) they had a reason for doing it this way.

Perhaps the IRS is maintaining reports on your account that span multiple years, in which case, it would become clear what you did year-over-year. 

So long as everybody is filling the forms out according to the instructions, the IRS can't ask for anything more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Your understanding of the entries on those two boxes is correct.

However, the IRS designed both the 8889 and the 5498-SA so presumably (knock on wood) they had a reason for doing it this way.

Perhaps the IRS is maintaining reports on your account that span multiple years, in which case, it would become clear what you did year-over-year. 

So long as everybody is filling the forms out according to the instructions, the IRS can't ask for anything more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies