turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samatonee

I moved for a job, how can I claim the gas and hotels from the trip?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Phillip1

Moving expenses are deductible as an adjustment from income, and employment expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction.

To enter moving expenses, follow these instructions:

1. Go to the Personal category in TurboTax.
  2. Go to the Deductions and Credits subcategory.
  3. Find the section labeled Other Deductions and Credits.
  4. Click start next to the line labeled "Moving Expenses"
  5. Continue through the moving expense entry screens until you reach a screen labeled Enter Your Moving Expenses. Enter the vehicle expenses on the line "Travel for You and Your Household", hotels on the following line.

The rules for moving expenses are found in IRS Publication 521. This is an excerpt from an explanation in IRS Tax Topic 455:

“You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements:

• Your move closely relates to the start of work
  • You meet the distance test
  • You meet the time test

Move Related to Start of Work - Your move must closely relate both in time and in place to the start of work at your new location. You can consider moving expenses incurred within one year from the date you first reported to work at the new location as closely related in time to the start of work. A move generally relates closely in place if the distance from your new home to the new job location isn't more than the distance from your former home to the new job location. For exceptions to these requirements, see Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

The distance test - Your new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old job location was from your old home. If you had no previous workplace, your new job location must be at least 50 miles from your old home.

The time test - If you're an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location. If you're self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new work location. There are exceptions to the time test in case of death, disability, and involuntary separation, among other things. See Publication 521 for these exceptions.”

If you meet the requirements discussed above, you can deduct the following expenses associated with your move:

1. The cost of moving your household goods and personal effects
  2. Storage Expenses - This is allowed for a period of one month after the move from your former home.
  3. The Costs of Travel and Lodging
KatieB

See Below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies