Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Section 179 Recapture Amount not Flowing to Schedule E page 2

In 2022 my husband's LLC was liquidated (he ended his consulting business and terminated the LLC).  Four years ago he took a Section 179 deduction for his business computer since it was used 75% for business.  He continued to use the computer 75% each year for business  until 2022 during which time it's use dropped to 15% for business.  I have calculated the recapture amount for Form 4797 Part IV as $593.  I believe I need to report this amount as ordinary income on the form that the original Section 179 expense was taken (it was taken as a business expense and reported as UPE on Schedule E page 2 when the computer was first purchased in 2019) but have been unsuccessful in getting the recapture amount to flow through to the 2022 Schedule E page 2.  Using forms mode, I have entered the recapture amount of $593 on Line 6 ("Other Income") of the K-1 Partnership Additional Information worksheet and entered the description "Section 179 Depreciation Recapture".  Sadly, the $593 is not flowing through and I am out of ideas as to what to do next.  By the way, I tried calling the TT help line and was told to include the Form 4797 with my return and not try to enter the recapture amount...the rep had no idea how to do it :(.  Any ideas would be appreciated!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Section 179 Recapture Amount not Flowing to Schedule E page 2

This is an update to my original question.  I was able to get the Section 179 recapture amount to flow to page 2 of Schedule E by doing the following:

1.  In "Forms View", go to K-1 Additional Info Worksheet
  2. Scroll to Line 5 (not Line 6) (under Code I) "Other nonpassive income (loss)"
  3. Enter "Recapture of Section 179 Depreciation" on the description line
  4. Enter the amount of recapture of $593

By doing the steps just listed, the recapture now shows up on Schedule E, page 2 as "Non-Passive Income from Schedule K-1".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies