turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule H Deferral

Interesting ... log back into the account and look for them ... scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the return and review any screen you wish  AFTER you have saved both a PDF of the original return and a .taxfile for safekeeping.  

Schedule H Deferral

Water under the bridge now..I have more important things to do than chase TT problems...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Schedule H Deferral

@jimswinder

TurboTax gives you a choice of going through all the topics, or selecting the topics you want to work on. Most people choose to select topics because they only need a small number of the topics that are included in the software. But if you choose to select topics, it's up to you to make sure you visit all the topics that apply to your tax return.

You also have the ability to leave a topic before you get to the end. If you do that, you don't see all of the questions.

Also note that several of the provisions of the CARES Act, including the deferral of Social Security tax, had to be incorporated into TurboTax in a last-minute rush. The IRS didn't issue the final forms and instructions until late December 2020 or early January 2021. By then the preliminary TurboTax 2020 program was already released and in use, and the start of filing was imminent. There wasn't time to consider alternative designs and refine the flow of the interview, or to do any user-interface testing. All the tax software companies did the best they could under the circumstances, but they couldn't give it the amount of thought and care that they would usually put into a new element, and they all have some rough edges.

rsq798

Schedule H Deferral

Apologies for reviving a slightly old thread, but I'm just looking at the bill now and I'm pissed. In my case, TurboTax absolutely did something automatically...

My 1040 shows that I deferred employer SS taxes but I neither am self-employed nor clicked on "Tax relief related to COVID-19" that is needed to trigger this (when I first went to amend my return today, all of the four boxes had a "Start" button and not "Revisit"). Now I have to figure out if the supposed deferred employer SS taxes are actually federal income taxes that I'm supposed to pay and were erroneously deferred (in which case, I'm happy to pay), or if I shouldn't have to pay those taxes in the first place. Likely I will be re-doing my 1040 by hand to double-check, in which case we'll see if I continue to do so when we get to the 2021 tax season.

Schedule H Deferral

Save a PDF of the return and look carefully ... do you have a Sch H, C or F? 

Schedule H Deferral

So frustrated!  Same boat here I did the manual entry into schedule H because when I started doing this turbotax didn't even allow you to answer questions about this simple item in the Deluxe version.  So I enter my schedule H items and move along.  Now I find out it deferred my taxes???  This is terrible!  I had been offered some deferral in the program questions and said no probably on a different topic.  But this one applied automatically.  Worse yet the IRS didn't print me a request until November 23 and now I received it the day after Christmas, due in a few days, no postmark to confirm when it go into the mail.  This is horrible!  All due to TurboTax!  I'm sure I have the same situation as a prior user...Start is probably listed on these sections of my form.  However I'm having problems logging in to turbotax because it's saying I need to activate it even though I'm on the same computer & user that submitted the taxes 7 months ago!  Ugh!!!!  Found the code on Amazon to activate again.  Upon getting to this section of the questionairre there are no previously entered responses by me, while the prior sections had my previous answers available.    I am so unhappy with this result, TT you must do better.  

PhilD236

Schedule H Deferral

I am an independent contractor and I paid the amount I elected to defer in 2022.

Please guide me on how I enter the deferred amount paid in 2022 as an additional tax paid on my return.

I should get credit for that payment, correct?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Schedule H Deferral

@PhilD236  You don't enter the payment in your 2022 tax return. What you deferred was part of the Social Security portion of your 2020 self-employment tax. It does not affect your 2022 tax return. You don't get an income tax credit for paying Social Security tax. The only "credit" you get for paying it is that you no longer owe it. But you don't show that on your tax return.

You were supposed to pay half of the deferred amount by December 31, 2021, and the remaining half by December 31, 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies