turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schedule B - Form 1099-DIV box 7 filling out a through d checkboxes

I have Foreign Tax that I am trying to apply as a credit since I am doing the standard deduction.  During the final checks the "schedule B - Form 1099-DIV box 7" not filled question cames up and I am not sure if I am doing this right.  First, the tax is being reported on the Mutual Fund as Various countries.  This is NOT an 1116-AMT.  I have double click the entry box and linked to COPY 1 (which is the Form 1116).  The problem is what next.  box 7c ask me to select a "column" so I guess its "A" based on there is only 1 Foreign tax reported on 1 fund.  I have no idea what I should do for 7d "Foreign source amount included in dividends", right now its 0.00.

So its this how I should be doing it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. In answer to your question, Form 1099-DIV supporting details should show you the amount of the dividends that directly pertained to the foreign tax paid. This is the amount that should be included as foreign source amount. 

However, if the total foreign tax paid is under $300 ($600 married filing jointly), then Form 1116 does not need to be included. The credit can be claimed directly on Schedule 3.

To enter this in TurboTax, it must be entered in two steps.

First, report it on the form as received.

Second, utilize the Jump to link described here: Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or deduction for 2019?

Click the links for more details. 

Filing IRS Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit

2019 IRS Publication 514 Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals

The link to how to fill out the 1116 it not helpful since it just basically says follow the turbotax prompts.  I wish there as some video showing people fill this out in turbotax for different income conditions.

sudirp

Take a Credit => Click Yes to Review 

Enter Country (Select RIC if your 1099 Foreign Income Taxes Country  / Details lists RIC)

Report Income 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies