Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Sale of inherited property -- how do i divide the loss between myself and my sibling?

If you are using the DOWNLOADED version read that screen carefully ... it should say the upgrade is recommended but NOT required.  

recommended not required.PNG

doulos564

Sale of inherited property -- how do i divide the loss between myself and my sibling?

It does say that, but when I choose to continue with Deluxe, it assumes that the asset is reported on a 1099-B.  It does not give me the option to "choose other" as the post I initially replied to shows.  So, did I find a bug?

Geo2022

These folks are all basically right, it is usually a 50-50 deal inheriting property from a parent... unless otherwise stated in a will.  For those in this type of situation.  But an estate lawyer will get more specific, given the terms of the will or trust.    However, for middle class heirs in California inheriting property like this, we're not talking wealthy folks here,  it often turns into a  bitter conflict between siblings -- those who insist on selling their inherited property shares, and those beneficiaries who want to keep their inherited home, plus keep parents low property tax base -- and avoid property tax reassessment with a Proposition 19 (formerly Prop 58) parent-to-child exclusion (from paying current tax rates).  That's why I want to add this option for middle class California families...

Given that in California, thanks to Proposition 13 and Prop 19,  we can transfer parents property taxes when inheriting property and inheriting property taxes – and keep parents property taxes as long as we reside in our inherited home as a primary residence, moving in within 12-months of course...    So if the beneficiaries who want to keep their parent's home can buy it with a loan to an irrevocable trust, in conjunction with the  Proposition 19 parent-child transfer, the parent-to-child exclusion to avoid property tax reassessment – upon  buying out siblings property... Those retaining their inherited property can get  a nice low property tax base, while siblings selling their property shares end up receiving a lot more money than if they sold out to an outside buyer with a broker or realtor involved, charging their 6% commission, legal fees; etc.   A win-win outcome for everyone.  I would suggest that anyone interested in this subject go to the CA State Board of Equalization at https://www.boe.ca.gov and get the facts; or go to a  property tax blog like  https://propertytaxnews.org or Wikipedia... and get info on using trust loans from an established  trust lender like https://cloanc.com  The more we know, the better off we’ll be dealing with a situation like this, inheriting property, buying out co-beneficiaries... saving a bundle on property taxes mainly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies