Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Repatriation of funds from foreign country

I and my spouse are Indian citizens but permanent residents of USA.  We have no income in USA.  We have income in India which is less than the tax threshold of US.  Still, we regularly file US tax return showing India income as global income and also file form 8938 showing foreign bank accounts.

We propose to transfer our moneys from India to USA and in the first instance we propose to bring $50,000 during this year.  Have we to report this repatriation of funds in IRS tax return?  Is form 3520 applicable to us?

1 Reply
Level 15

Repatriation of funds from foreign country

Moving your own money from one bank account to another is NOT reported on an INCOME tax return.  And a 3520 is NOT applicable in this case. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies