turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

djlimole

Can I put down as an expense, the $300 per month that I'm paying my realtor to be my property manager? And what would I need to show this?

Hahaha! The "I'm not sure" was my answer to your question regarding why I have a SCH C at all. I have no businesses in the US or Czech Republic where I am residing. I'll check Business income & Expenses to see if anything is there. Where exactly should I input my Rental information to avoid it being labeled as a business?
Carl
Level 15

Can I put down as an expense, the $300 per month that I'm paying my realtor to be my property manager? And what would I need to show this?

The only place you enter rental income and expenses, is in the section specifically titled "Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E)" and nowhere else.
djlimole

I found the issue, and it's not involving my rental property. My wife had a 1099-MISC for work she had done for her former company.  She was still working for them in some capacity, but they don't send her a W-2. The sent out a 1099-MISC and her wages are listed as non-employee compensation. It is not a business that we own. When I put this in, it is categorizing it as self employed business income and generating a SCH C.
Is there a way to avoid creating the SCH C?
Carl
Level 15

"Is there a way to avoid creating the SCH C? "
Nope. Non-employee compensation is reported in box 7 of the 1099-MISC. As far as the IRS is concerned, she earned that money while self-employed and "in business" for  herself. So if she claims one single penny of expenses (referred to as business expenses) against that income, you will have to upgrade to the most expensive Self-Employed version since you're using the online version of the program.
However, if she does not claim any business expenses, then instead of a SCH C you can include a SCH C-EZ with the return, and that particular form is included in the online version of Premier that my screen indicates you're using.  So when asked for type of business, select "contractor". If you select anything else (Sole Proprietor or Single Member LLC) then you will not get the SCH C-EZ option.
djlimole

Thanks Carl!
djlimole

Carl. When I finished inputting the info, the income shows up on two places. The same amount shows up under "self-employment income and expenses" and also under "income from form 1099-MISC". Does that mean that I'll be taxed for double the income? Should I delete one of these?
Carl
Level 15

A 1099-MISC will "appear" in up to three places. But provided you only entered it once, it's only counted once.
djlimole

Thanks!
djlimole

Hi Carl. I efiled my federal return and all went well. I'm mailing in my MA state return tomorrow, expedited of course:) I do have another quick question. There is a SCH-E for my rental property, but also a SCH-E1 which looks like it's providing the same information. Is this supposed to be? If you have time, please let me know. Thanks!
Carl
Level 15

Never heard of a SCH E1. Can't even find such a form on the IRS website. Sounds like a state thing to me.
Carl
Level 15

Rental Property Dates & Numbers That Matter.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence before, then this date is the day AFTER  you moved out.
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter "could" have moved in. That should be your "in service" date if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters count also PROVIDED you did not live in the house for one single day during said period of vacancy.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence or 2nd home, after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

RENTAL POPERTY ASSETS, MAINTENANCE/CLEANING/REPAIRS DEFINED

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that add value to the property. Expenses for this are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria must be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must add "real" value to the property. In other words, when  the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

Cleaning & Maintenance

Those expenses incurred to maintain the rental property and it's assets in the useable condition the property and/or asset was designed and intended for. Routine cleaning and maintenance expenses are only deductible if they are incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Cleaning and maintenance expenses incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent are not deductible.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or it's assets to the same useable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent are not deductible.

Additional clarifications: Painting a room does not qualify as a property improvement. While the paint does become “a material part of” the property, from the perspective of a property appraiser, it doesn’t add “real value” to the property.

However, when you do something like convert the garage into a 3rd bedroom for example, making a  2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom house adds “real value”. Of course, when you convert the garage to a bedroom, you’re going to paint it. But you will include the cost of painting as a part of the property improvement – not an expense separate from it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies