Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Real estate professional

Would I be considered a real estate professional? I have a rental home that I materially participate in. I market the house, lease it, operate, and manage it. My day job I am a mortgage banker lending money for residential real estate purchases.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Real estate professional

You are considered to be a real estate professional (i.e., in a real property trade or business) if:

1. more than one-half of the personal services you provided during the year were performed in a real property trade or business in which you materially participated; AND
  2. the number of hours in which you materially participated in this real property trade or business was more than 750 hours; AND
  3. you must materially participate in each rental real estate activity unless you filed an election to group all rental real estate activities as one (and materially participate in that activity).

A "real property trade or business" means any real property development, redevelopment, construction, reconstruction, acquisition, conversion, or rental operation, management, leasing, or brokerage trade or business.

Personal services performed as an employee are not treated as being performed in a real property trade or business unless you are a more than 5% owner of the trade or business.

For joint return purposes, the eligibility requirements are considered met if either you or your spouse separately satisfy the requirements.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies