turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hosrus

Why does Turbo Tax keep telling me that my High Deductible Health Plan in 2019 has lapsed when I state that I do not have an HSA, MSA, or Medicare Adv MSA. I have a HRA.

I have had insurance through my company for over 12 years. I contribute money via my paycheck, but the HSA is a different plan than I have. I have the HRA plan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why does Turbo Tax keep telling me that my High Deductible Health Plan in 2019 has lapsed when I state that I do not have an HSA, MSA, or Medicare Adv MSA. I have a HRA.

First of all, you are not allowed to make any contributions to an HRA. It must be funded only by the employer. You can pay for your insurance premiums, but you cannot deposit any money into the HRA. If your employer is allowing that, they are breaking the rules, or, it isn’t really an HRA.

Then, assuming that you have an HRA, there are no questions in turbo task that will ask about this. You simply indicate that you did not have a qualifying HDHP.  You should not be reporting any contributions to an HSA or reporting any withdrawals from an HSA.  The HRA is silent on your tax return and does not get reported.  

if you have an item in box 12 of your W-2 with code W, this indicates contributions through payroll deduction or free money from your employer contributed to an HSA in your name.  If your W-2 has such an item, then either you really have an HSA, or your employer has reported your W-2 incorrectly.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@hosrus

What has happened is that you saw the question, "What type of High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) did [name] have on December 1, 2018?", and you answered it with Family or Self by mistake.

An HDHP policy is regular health insurance but with higher deductibles, and the policy is labeled this way by the carrier. Ask your HR department or the insurance company itself.

This question applies only to taxpayers with HDHP health insurance coverage. If you did not have such coverage, then you should answer "None".

Please go back through the interview and answer "None" this time, and see if this clears the error message about the lapse.

P.S. If in fact you did have HDHP coverage in 2018 but also had an HRA (they are not intrinsically mutually exclusive), then please come back and tell us, and we'll tell you what to do. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies