turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drmiller7

Why didn't you claim my Nebraska Property Tax Incentive Act Credit on line 36 of my form 1040N?

This is costing me $158
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
drmiller7

Why didn't you claim my Nebraska Property Tax Incentive Act Credit on line 36 of my form 1040N?

Line 36 Form 1040N not claimed. Why???

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Make sure you checked the correct box on your state return. The credit may be claimed by Nebraska property owners that pay school district taxes during a taxable year. 

To claim the credit:

• Login to your Account.
  • Select the State Tab.
  • Continue to the screen Any Nebraska Credit? select Property Owned by an individual Tax credit/
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thought i checked the right box but apparently not how do i change that

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

To check the entry you made for the Nebraska Property Tax Incentive Act Credit, you can follow these steps:

1. Login to TurboTax, Select State
  2. Select Edit, beside Nebraska
  3. Under Credits, Select Property Owned by an Individual Tax Credit
  4. Answer the question for, "Do you have any Nebraska School District Property Tax or Nebraska Community College Property Tax Paid"

@pcummins1007

louiesmom
Returning Member

@BrittanyS I think this part of the software is broken.  It was working when I originally filed, lines 35/36 came through onto my return.  Now they now longer show.  Seems something happened with the 1/26 update to State of Nebraska Turbo Tax

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I am not able to duplicate your issue.  It would be helpful to have a TurboTax token.  The token provides a sanitized version of your return.  We will be able to see the numbers but not any personal information such as your name, SSN, or address.  

If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

In TurboTax Online, go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen, and you will get a Token number. 

In TurboTax CD/Download versions, go to the black panel on your screen and select Online. 

1. Scroll down and select Send tax file to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click send through this screen, and you will get a Token number. 

Reply to this thread with your Token number. 

We will then be able to see precisely what you are seeing, and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@louiesmom 

louiesmom
Returning Member

1076464 @BrittanyS 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I have reviewed the tax file and the Nebraska Property Tax Incentive does show when reviewing.  If using TurboTax online you may need to clear your cache and cookies and then sign in again and continue with the state return.  If you are still experiencing the problem you can delete the state return turn and start again.  To delete the state return in TurboTax online, you will follow these steps:

1. Click State 
  2. Click the Trashcan icon next to Nebraska
  3. Confirm to Delete
  4. Restart State Return

If using TurboTax Desktop, check for updates and update the desktop version.  To check for updates, follow these steps:

1. Click Online from the top menu
  2. Click Check for Updates
  3. Run Update
  4. Reopen your return

Here's how to clear (delete) a state return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms Mode by selecting the Forms icon at the top-right corner of the screen
  2. From the File menu, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and select Remove. Choose Yes to confirm

If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon, and then select the State Taxes tab.

@louiesmom 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies