turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter mortgage interest I received from a private mortgage I hold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

You enter mortgage interest received just AS IF you had received a form 1099-INT from a bank.

In TurboTax, you can enter your form 1099-INT by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Interest and Dividends and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Interest on 1099-INT.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why is there a separate prompt for investment gains and losses that were not reported on a 1099-B, but not a similar prompt for interest not reported on 1099-INT?  Also, seller-financed mortgages are way down the list, but could possibly handle private mortgage entry?  (Idea being there is private interest, not reported on a 1099, but the mortgage holder was not a property seller, at all?)

Use the seller-financed mortgage section  even if you did not sell the property. 

DaktariJF

I see 2 very different answers here for reporting interest from a private mortgage when you are not the seller:

1- Just report it as if there is a 1099-INT (though there isn't one)

2- Report it as a seller-financed mortgage, even if you are not the seller (which seems inaccurate)

Which is the best method for this quite common situation where a mortgage (loan secured by real property and recorded a such)  is held by a third party such as a parent or relative or business associate, but not by a bank, or by the seller of the property?

Further clarification much appreciated!

Use option 2 since you must report the name/address/SS# of the payer since you are holding a mortgage.  The payer must report YOUR name/address/SS# on their Sch A if they want to deduct the mortgage interest they are paying you.  Doing this cross references the payments from them to you for the IRS.   

Use option 1  only if you are holding a loan that is NOT for a mortgage where you are holding the paper/lien. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies