turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Website is not saving HSA data I enter

Whether I enter my 1099-SA, or I indicate that I made contributions to my HSA, the data is not saving on the website.  And federal tax due is not changing (presumably as a result of the data not being saved)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Sorry, long response. Please read to the end...

"I am not familiar with the reset function you mention, so presumably I have not done it."

It's not a function, it is a series of steps, so don't worry about it...it is extremely unlikely that you could have done these steps accidentally.

"In case it matters, Turbotax also indicates that my wife wasn't covered all year long, which is not the case."

I assume that you say this because TurboTax asked what type of HDHP coverage your wife had on December 1, 2019 and you answered truthfully that she had Family or Self, so the next screen was that her coverage had lapsed.

The issue with this question is that it is not intended for any taxpayer who either did not have their own HSA in 2019 or didn't contribute to it.

If your wife did not have her own HSA (remember they are owned by the individual, not jointly) in 2019, then she should answer "None". This will prevent the lapse in coverage message.

For the real problem - "Correct, the data previously entered is not there.  In addition, there is a summary table at the end (it has deductions, etc)  with an "Edit" button.  Table is all $0 in every field and hitting the edit button does not allow one to actually edit anything."

I have been specializing in HSA questions for 5 years, and I have never seen this behavior. So, if you don't mind, can you tell me

1. What Online product are you using (Deluxe, Premier, or Self-employed)?

2. What browser are you using, or, really, have you tried using a different browser to reproduce this behavior?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

I was on Chrome and tried Firefox instead.  Worked great, Thank you Bill!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

First, I am assuming that you are referring to an Online product. If so, which one? Deluxe, Premier, Self-employed?

Second, did you indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent? Dependents cannot claim HSA deductions (although I would have thought that the 1099-SA data would be saved).

And when you say, "the data is not saving on the website", you mean that when you return to the HSA part of the interview in TurboTax, that the data for the1099-SA that you previously entered is literally not there?

The only way I can imagine this happening is if you did a "reset" on your HSA data, which is a series of steps which I can't imagine you have done (because I would have to tell you them).

Does TurboTax even remember that you have an HSA when you enter the HSA interview and it asks you about your medical accounts?

Bill,

Thank you for your reply.  Indeed, I am using Online Deluxe.

I did not indicate that I could be claimed as a dependent (nor did I regarding my wife as we are filing jointly).

Correct, the data previously entered is not there.  In addition, there is a summary table at the end (it has deductions, etc)  with an "Edit" button.  Table is all $0 in every field and hitting the edit button does not allow one to actually edit anything.

I am not familiar with the reset function you mention, so presumably I have not done it.

Turbotax does remember that I have an HSA.

In case it matters, Turbotax also indicates that my wife wasn't covered all year long, which is not the case.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Sorry, long response. Please read to the end...

"I am not familiar with the reset function you mention, so presumably I have not done it."

It's not a function, it is a series of steps, so don't worry about it...it is extremely unlikely that you could have done these steps accidentally.

"In case it matters, Turbotax also indicates that my wife wasn't covered all year long, which is not the case."

I assume that you say this because TurboTax asked what type of HDHP coverage your wife had on December 1, 2019 and you answered truthfully that she had Family or Self, so the next screen was that her coverage had lapsed.

The issue with this question is that it is not intended for any taxpayer who either did not have their own HSA in 2019 or didn't contribute to it.

If your wife did not have her own HSA (remember they are owned by the individual, not jointly) in 2019, then she should answer "None". This will prevent the lapse in coverage message.

For the real problem - "Correct, the data previously entered is not there.  In addition, there is a summary table at the end (it has deductions, etc)  with an "Edit" button.  Table is all $0 in every field and hitting the edit button does not allow one to actually edit anything."

I have been specializing in HSA questions for 5 years, and I have never seen this behavior. So, if you don't mind, can you tell me

1. What Online product are you using (Deluxe, Premier, or Self-employed)?

2. What browser are you using, or, really, have you tried using a different browser to reproduce this behavior?

I was on Chrome and tried Firefox instead.  Worked great, Thank you Bill!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies