turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We just replaced all of our windows in our house to EnergyStar rated windows. Where do I enter this credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We just replaced all of our windows in our house to EnergyStar rated windows. Where do I enter this credit?

Generally speaking, the entry for Energy Efficient Home Improvements should be on the Deductions and Credits page under "Your Home."  You may have to click something like "show me all options" or "show me more" if you don't see it.

For windows, they must meet Energy Star version 6.0 or higher, per the instructions for form 5695 line 19d.  Also, there is a maximum lifetime credit for energy efficient building improvements of $500 and a maximum lifetime credit for windows of $200, so if you have used the credit before, it may not be allowed now.  Also, the credit is 10% of the product cost not counting installation, so if you are audited, you will be at risk of losing the deduction unless the cost is listed separately on your invoice. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I don't think your windows qualify for the credit.

Under the deductions and credits tab in the Your Home section elect to start/update Home Energy Credits. In the list of "you can't claim" it specifically and explicitly list "Energy Star Appliances"

Yet, in the list of what you're allowed to claim, it does state exterior doors, windows and skylights. If you have the manufacturer issued credit certificate, then this should be no problem.

Generally speaking, the entry for Energy Efficient Home Improvements should be on the Deductions and Credits page under "Your Home."  You may have to click something like "show me all options" or "show me more" if you don't see it.

For windows, they must meet Energy Star version 6.0 or higher, per the instructions for form 5695 line 19d.  Also, there is a maximum lifetime credit for energy efficient building improvements of $500 and a maximum lifetime credit for windows of $200, so if you have used the credit before, it may not be allowed now.  Also, the credit is 10% of the product cost not counting installation, so if you are audited, you will be at risk of losing the deduction unless the cost is listed separately on your invoice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies