turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

My unreimbursed Employee Expenses are not tranferring to the page: Janet, Here are your 2018 & 2019 Deductions and Credits.  In 2018 is was 1,625  in 2019 =0.

I have entered these dollar amounts yet it does not transfer to this page.  Why?

Thank you,

Janet

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Part of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 was to eliminate almost all deductions for unreimbursed employee business expenses. 

Unless you are in a very small group of employees, the amounts you entered were reduced to zero on your federal return (although some states still allow the deductions, so it's good to enter them).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Correct, but some states still permit the deduction on the state return.  See also here.

Beginning in 2018, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer eligible for a tax deduction on your federal tax return however, some states such as California continue to provide a deduction on your state tax return if you qualify.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Part of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 was to eliminate almost all deductions for unreimbursed employee business expenses. 

Unless you are in a very small group of employees, the amounts you entered were reduced to zero on your federal return (although some states still allow the deductions, so it's good to enter them).

I found the answer.  Employee business expenses were eliminated with tax reform in 2017.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Correct, but some states still permit the deduction on the state return.  See also here.

Beginning in 2018, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer eligible for a tax deduction on your federal tax return however, some states such as California continue to provide a deduction on your state tax return if you qualify.

clholman

Your solution states, "Unless you are in a very small group of employees, the amounts you entered were reduced to zero on your federal return...".   How does anyone KNOW if they are in a "very small group of employees" that qualifies for the deduction?  Frustrating.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Armed Forces reservist, qualified performing artist, fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses.   TurboTax will ask if any of these apply when you fill out this section.   You are encouraged to enter your expenses no matter what your occupation as the expenses my be deductible on your state return despite not being deductible on your federal return.  

The FEDERAL job-related expenses deduction is only available to people who work in one of these specific professions or situations:

• Armed Forces reservist
  • Qualified performing artist
  • Fee-basis state or local government official
  • You're disabled and have impairment-related expenses

@clholman

salu1903

I have entered Unreimbursed Employee Expenses and the amount I entered is shown on the deduction page

to update deductions, but not on the review pages for my return.  It shows the amount I entered in the  2019 column but not on the 2020 column.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies