Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Understanding entering 1095-A form while being claimed as a dependent

Hi, I received unemployment last year for a few months before it stopped but when filing a tax return this year, TurboTax says I can be still claimed as a dependent on my parent's tax return this year as I am a full-time student who doesn't work. When filing, I am being told to enter the 1095-A form which my mother got and paid fully for from our health insurance plan. Every time I enter the information, despite being a dependent, towards the end before Federal Review, TurboTax keeps telling me to delete it if I can be claimed, but when I go to delete it, the service states that if I don't submit info on the 1095-A form, my return will be rejected. What should I do? Also, when filing my mother's, they keep asking for my MAGI which I don't understand how to calculate. Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you check the box in the personal information section saying that you are claimed by someone else?

In the my info section, yes.

I think the problem is that when asked “Let’s check if you need form 2095-A” you answered “yes, I need it “. This window is, I think misleading since it reads “You should have 1095-A if you purchased…through the marketplace “.  You would assume that means you need the form since you are covered by the marketplace. But you didn’t purchase the coverage, your parents did. So select No since it was your parent’s insurance. 

Your MAGI is basically your income—unemployment payments, wages, interest, self employment income, etc. 

Do you know which tab in TurboTax I should correct that? 

Also, is there a way to properly calculate it since I am not sure about what those other numbers are besides my unemployment wages? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies