Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2020 - How to remove $2,000 Child Tax Credit - Custodial Parent

Greetings,

Here's the issue - 

I am filing as custodial parent, with a dependent child. I am claiming Head of Household exemption. Per divorce agreement with the child's mother, the mother will get the Child Tax Credit for Tax Year 2020. I have already signed a Form 8332.

Now - how do I remove the $2,000 Child Tax Credit from the TurboTax 2020 edition? It keeps saying that I "deserved" the tax credit. It does not ask me whether I've signed Form 8332 or not. 

The child lives with me full time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Go back to My Info and click your child's name.  Go through the screens again.   It sounds like you missed the question about whether you have an agreement with the other parent.   If you have a signed 8332 you can still get earned income credit, childcare credit and file as HOH.    The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Go back to My Info and click your child's name.  Go through the screens again.   It sounds like you missed the question about whether you have an agreement with the other parent.   If you have a signed 8332 you can still get earned income credit, childcare credit and file as HOH.    The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Clearly, I did miss a step right there.

Even if I have custody of the child, with the Form 8332 giving the non-custodian parent the right to claim, it becomes non-dependent on my part, but the non-custodian parent's dependent.

I can still file as Head of Household because my child was with me for the entire year. Ditto for Child Care expenses.

Many thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies