turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax won't let me switch from Standard Deduction to Itemized Deduction, even though itemized deductions are much greater, and I believe it was already used

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Turbo Tax won't let me switch from Standard Deduction to Itemized Deduction, even though itemized deductions are much greater, and I believe it was already used

Did you take into account the increased standard deduction in recent years?

Also take note of the special deduction for charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction this year only. If that's the bulk of your itemized deductions, you may be better off taking that special deduction plus the standard deduction. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax allows you to enter in your full details. However, the IRS requires you to select either the standard deduction or itemizing deductions.

TurboTax needs all the details to optimize your return by taking the best option and will automatically exclude the extra information.

Be sure to select Continue in the bottom right of the screen. Do not select Change Deduction in the middle of the screen, or it will revert back to the lower refund/higher tax option.

For more information about the difference between the Standard Deduction and Itemizing Deductions, see: Video: What is a Schedule A: Itemized Tax Deductions? - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

How does the Standard Deduction differ from itemizing deductions?

deepusn
Returning Member

Im have the same problem also: $72,000 itemized vs $24,000 standard.  I hit Change Deduction and then Continue and still shows me taking standard deduction.

The above reply states:

"Be sure to select Continue in the bottom right of the screen. Do not select Change Deduction in the middle of the screen, or it will revert back to the lower refund/higher tax option."

You state you did select it.  Perhaps try again, not hitting Change Deduction?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies