Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax recommended using Federal Standard Deduction, but Federal Itemized returns more $$$ for Federal & State combined

Turbo tax "recommended" that I should use the Standard Federal Deduction this year, but if I use the Itemized Federal Deduction I will improve my combined Federal & State of Georgia total return by $702...Why would the program only take into consideration for the highest Federal return, but not Federal & State combined??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BobbyT65

Turbo Tax recommended using Federal Standard Deduction, but Federal Itemized returns more $$$ for Federal & State combined

" It is just not feasible to write a program to test every possible combination and scenario to make recommendations for the best overall total outcome. "

This is malarkey. This is why I use TurboTax because you claim to do this very thing.

Quotes from the software:

"so you can get the biggest refund possible"

"look for ways to get you every dollar you deserve"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

At the point in the program where TurboTax recommends whether it is best for you to use the standard deduction or itemized deductions,  your state return has not even been started.  the recommendation is based solely on your Federal return.

Additionally, many state tax situations can be complicated with multiple states involved and multiple options with regard to whether a state even allows itemized deductions.  It is just not feasible to write a program to test every possible combination and scenario to make recommendations for the best overall total outcome.  Perhaps it will be considered in future versions of the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well it would only been over 700 $ that I would not have been refunded by the INTUIT TURBO TAX DELUXE that doesn't believe it's a "FEASABLE" subject, even though the company has made million upon millions of $$$ from it's paying customers. FORGET ME PURCHASING YOUR PRODUCT NEXT YEAR!

BobbyT65

" It is just not feasible to write a program to test every possible combination and scenario to make recommendations for the best overall total outcome. "

This is malarkey. This is why I use TurboTax because you claim to do this very thing.

Quotes from the software:

"so you can get the biggest refund possible"

"look for ways to get you every dollar you deserve"

Absolutely! I spoke with a CPA that I WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR for my tax returns, she said that her program will run all scenarios to get the maximum refund. Her program tries filing married or joint, standard or deductions, etc. etc.   Went on to say "U GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR!"   I've learned a BIG lesson this time TURBO TAX!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies