Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax creating form NJ-DOP in error

Hello.

I get a 1099-DIV form for dividends and capital gains from E-Trade every year. All of a sudden this year it creates a form NJ-DOP which is like for sales of property. I can't get around this. This form is not suppose to be for capital gains on mutual funds. And these capital gains are being reinvested so I never receive any funds. This is the first year it is happening. Please help.

Thank you,

Phil

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not an error. Capital gain distributions from box 2a of your 1099-DIV have to be reported on line 2 of Schedule NJ-DOP. This has been true since 2018.

It doesn't matter whether you take the distributions in cash or reinvest them. They are taxable income either way.

And "property" does not mean just land or real estate. Anything you own is property. Anytime you sell an investment, including mutual funds, it is a sale of property.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not an error. Capital gain distributions from box 2a of your 1099-DIV have to be reported on line 2 of Schedule NJ-DOP. This has been true since 2018.

It doesn't matter whether you take the distributions in cash or reinvest them. They are taxable income either way.

And "property" does not mean just land or real estate. Anything you own is property. Anytime you sell an investment, including mutual funds, it is a sale of property.

Oh thanks. Only thing is on last year's return turbo tax did not product a NJ-DOP form even thought I had the same situation. Who knows?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@philttttt

You should input your Form 1099-DIV form into TurboTax exactly how it appears.  When the  Form 1099 is entered accurately, TurboTax translates that information to the federal and state returns.

Total Capital Gains Distributions from 1099-DIV Box 2a are included as taxable income even though they are reinvested.  They add to the cost basis of your mutual fund and will come in to play when you sell your shares.

The form NJ - DOP simply captures information on the disposition of assets and translates to the NJ tax return.  This form is filed as part of the NJ Tax Return.

[Edited 2/18/22 6:50 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you for the info.

Phil

I have similar situation. I have net loss from stock sales and NJ Check keeps returning me to NJ-DOP and line 4. As per instructions within the form, it should be zero if net loss, which is what appear but it does not seem to recognise the value. Also, a message on a top states 

“NJ-DOP This form may require an adjustment that has not been finalized for this release.” Any clue onwhen will this be available on turbotax small business Online/Mobile? Or any alternative? 

MDA3

I'm having the same issues -- keeps bringing me back to this error field and cannot override.  Very frustrating, any suggestions?

MLASHGARI7
Returning Member

I have the same issue, I am stuck!!

222marcin
Returning Member

Same issue

I am having the same exact error message and can't file my NJ taxes until an update is done. Does anyone have any information on when this will be resolved?

222marcin
Returning Member

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. Our team is working to resolve an error message in the New Jersey state tax Form NJ-DOP during Review and expects to have this updated by March 3rd. Please try your return in Review on or after March 4th. If you have the desktop version of TurboTax, please be sure it updates when you launch the program. If you have TurboTax Online and it still gives this error message, please sign out of TurboTax, clear your cache and cookies, or try another browser, then sign back in and take it through Review.  Please see this Help article for clearing your cache and cookies. Clearing cache and cookies in your browser

You may sign up for notifications about this error message in this TurboTax Help article Notifications NJ-DOP message in Review

If the federal forms are all finalized and it is ready to e-file, you can choose to file just the federal return at this time, then come back when your state forms are ready and e-file that return.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen
  2. Select Change next to your state return
  3. On the Change filing method screen
  4. Select I'm not ready to file
  5. Click Save 

Note, if you don't e-file them together, you do have to wait until the federal is accepted before you can e-file the state. Sometimes this takes a day or even two.

Here is a TurboTax Help article with directions for when you return to file your state return.

File State after the Federal is Filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Today on 03/03/2022 I updates my TT software and now I am getting different error messages in the same form NJ-DOP. 

"Price cannot be greater than the federal amount. Column d - price 0. Cost cannot be grater than federal amount, column e".

I have a few entries like that. They related to options short sales resulting in loss. According IRS requirements short sales reported with cost basis (column e) equal to zero and gain/loss in column d. In case of loss column d on 1099 from my broker is negative (correct) and exactly the same way federal form 8949 looks like. 

But for some reason NJ-DOP shows this in opposite way. Column d is zero but column e has positive number. 

When I tried to override such line to make it exactly like federal form I got the message that price cannot be negative. So, it is impossible to have this form match federal form. And it doesn't match form 1099 from broker.  

Something is wrong with TT now. It is second year in the row software is ridden with bugs. Did Intuit lost good programmers due to Covid? 

rwepp

Today is 03/04/2022.  I have exactly the same problem as ngozman

Same error on a short term options loss. It’s a negative (loss) and it’s the same amount pulled from the fed return. Error states ‘cost cannot be greater than the federal amount’. It’s the same number. Preventing me from filing electronically both fed and state returns. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies