turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eth4me

How do you claim losses from crypto currency theft?

My crypto currency wallet was hacked and emptied out. I want to report it as a loss on my tax return.

Can I claim it as capital loss against other capital gains?

Can I use the exchange rate at the time of the theft?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

This answer will point you to clarify the different types of cryptocurrency thefts, whether it's a capital loss or a theft depending on the circumstances.

Understand that this is a complex subject and in a state of flux as is the bitcoin phenomenon. This answer culls portions of a blog that apply to you. I suggest further research for you to determine where your situation lies.

From https://steemit.com/money/@cryptotax/was-your-bitcoin-stolen-potential-tax-benefits-for-your-loss

Considerations:

Is it a theft or a capital loss?

"Generally, for U.S. income tax, a loss from the three schemes above could be a “theft loss” or a “capital loss”, depending on the circumstances.

For US tax purposes, “theft” generally means criminal appropriation of another’s property, including loss from swindling, false pretenses and guile (Revenue Ruling 2009-09). Generally, whether a theft occurred for tax purposes would be based on laws in the jurisdiction where the theft occurred and, and it occurred with criminal intent. A conviction is not required to determine a theft occurred (Revenue Ruling 2009-09).

A capital gain/loss is the loss on the disposition of a capital asset. A disposition/worthlessness of stock tradeable on the open market is a capital loss (not a theft loss), even it relates to fraudulent activities of the board of directors/officers (Revenue Ruling 2009-09, Revenue Ruling 77-17). A U.S. person’s loss from capital assets (after netting against gains) is limited to $3,000 per year (see section 1211 and 1212)."

If a theft, is the Loss from  a Profit Activity or an Unrelated Activity?

"There are two general types of theft (non-capital) losses which are deductible as itemized deductions:
(a) Profit Activity - Losses incurred in a transaction entered into for profit (section 165(c)(2))
(b) Unrelated Activity- Losses not connected to a transaction entered into for profit (section 165(c)(3))"

The theft loss from an Unrelated Activity would have the same tax treatment as a tornado or other act of God. This would require Form 4684 (Casualties and Thefts) and is limited by floors and AGI.

"(a) The first $100 of loss is not deductible and

(b) The remaining loss is only deductible to the extent it exceeds 10% of the person’s adjusted gross income. For someone with a $25,000 in gross income, and a $5,000 Unrelated Theft loss, they would be able to deduct $2,400 ($5,000 loss, less $100 = $4,900; and 10% of $25,000 Gross Income is $2,500, meaning $4,900-$2,500 = $2,400 allowable loss)."

Situations:

Hacked Wallet

"For a hacked wallet, this would likely be treated as a theft loss as the BTC was literally stolen.
If the wallet was holding an investment in Bitcoin for purposes of generating profit, then the theft loss could be treated as a Profit Activity thus not subject to the $100/10% floors. However, if the wallet was primarily used for personal transactions unrelated to investing (i.e. purchases from Microsoft Store or Overstock, etc.), the IRS may treat this as an Unrelated Loss, subject to the $100/10% floors (explained above). A tax advisor should be consulted.

Initial Coin Offering

Unfortunately, worthless ICO tokens may be treated as capital losses (not theft losses), even more so if SEC has the intent to classify some of these tokens as securities. In a bitcoin for token exchange, the bitcoin was willingly given up by an investor; as opposed to literal theft due to hacking/Ponzi. A tax advisor should be consulted.

Ponzi Scheme

In Revenue Ruling 2009-09, a person opened an investment account with a supposed investment advisor/broker, and it turned out to be a Ponzi scheme. This transaction was treated as entered into for profit and thus not subject to the $100/10% floor limitation (explained above). A Ponzi scheme loss related to crypto products would seem to be a theft Loss from a Profit Activity, not subject to the $100/10% floors if the facts are similar to Revenue Ruling 2009-09. A tax advisor should be consulted."

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MichaelDC

This answer will point you to clarify the different types of cryptocurrency thefts, whether it's a capital loss or a theft depending on the circumstances.

Understand that this is a complex subject and in a state of flux as is the bitcoin phenomenon. This answer culls portions of a blog that apply to you. I suggest further research for you to determine where your situation lies.

From https://steemit.com/money/@cryptotax/was-your-bitcoin-stolen-potential-tax-benefits-for-your-loss

Considerations:

Is it a theft or a capital loss?

"Generally, for U.S. income tax, a loss from the three schemes above could be a “theft loss” or a “capital loss”, depending on the circumstances.

For US tax purposes, “theft” generally means criminal appropriation of another’s property, including loss from swindling, false pretenses and guile (Revenue Ruling 2009-09). Generally, whether a theft occurred for tax purposes would be based on laws in the jurisdiction where the theft occurred and, and it occurred with criminal intent. A conviction is not required to determine a theft occurred (Revenue Ruling 2009-09).

A capital gain/loss is the loss on the disposition of a capital asset. A disposition/worthlessness of stock tradeable on the open market is a capital loss (not a theft loss), even it relates to fraudulent activities of the board of directors/officers (Revenue Ruling 2009-09, Revenue Ruling 77-17). A U.S. person’s loss from capital assets (after netting against gains) is limited to $3,000 per year (see section 1211 and 1212)."

If a theft, is the Loss from  a Profit Activity or an Unrelated Activity?

"There are two general types of theft (non-capital) losses which are deductible as itemized deductions:
(a) Profit Activity - Losses incurred in a transaction entered into for profit (section 165(c)(2))
(b) Unrelated Activity- Losses not connected to a transaction entered into for profit (section 165(c)(3))"

The theft loss from an Unrelated Activity would have the same tax treatment as a tornado or other act of God. This would require Form 4684 (Casualties and Thefts) and is limited by floors and AGI.

"(a) The first $100 of loss is not deductible and

(b) The remaining loss is only deductible to the extent it exceeds 10% of the person’s adjusted gross income. For someone with a $25,000 in gross income, and a $5,000 Unrelated Theft loss, they would be able to deduct $2,400 ($5,000 loss, less $100 = $4,900; and 10% of $25,000 Gross Income is $2,500, meaning $4,900-$2,500 = $2,400 allowable loss)."

Situations:

Hacked Wallet

"For a hacked wallet, this would likely be treated as a theft loss as the BTC was literally stolen.
If the wallet was holding an investment in Bitcoin for purposes of generating profit, then the theft loss could be treated as a Profit Activity thus not subject to the $100/10% floors. However, if the wallet was primarily used for personal transactions unrelated to investing (i.e. purchases from Microsoft Store or Overstock, etc.), the IRS may treat this as an Unrelated Loss, subject to the $100/10% floors (explained above). A tax advisor should be consulted.

Initial Coin Offering

Unfortunately, worthless ICO tokens may be treated as capital losses (not theft losses), even more so if SEC has the intent to classify some of these tokens as securities. In a bitcoin for token exchange, the bitcoin was willingly given up by an investor; as opposed to literal theft due to hacking/Ponzi. A tax advisor should be consulted.

Ponzi Scheme

In Revenue Ruling 2009-09, a person opened an investment account with a supposed investment advisor/broker, and it turned out to be a Ponzi scheme. This transaction was treated as entered into for profit and thus not subject to the $100/10% floor limitation (explained above). A Ponzi scheme loss related to crypto products would seem to be a theft Loss from a Profit Activity, not subject to the $100/10% floors if the facts are similar to Revenue Ruling 2009-09. A tax advisor should be consulted."

eth4me

Thank you for your detailed response.

I have also done some additional research and found this:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.fool.com/taxes/2017/12/24/these-9-tax-deductions-are-going-away-in-2018.aspx">https://ww...>

Looks like big changes are coming and it will *not* be deductible at all:

4. Casualty and theft losses except in disaster areas
Casualty losses under old law were eligible as itemized deductions to the extent that they exceeded $100 plus 10% of your adjusted gross income. Events included not only natural disasters but also fires, robberies, and other qualifying occurrences. The new law now preserves the deduction only for disasters for which a presidential disaster area declaration was made.
MichaelDC

Definitely, "The times (and taxes) they are a-changing. Good Luck. Hope I helped.
bobcat131

What is the current IRS position on claiming a theft of cryptocurrencies during 2021?

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

After the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was passed, theft losses are no longer deductible on Form 4684. If your cryptocurrency was stolen and classifies as a theft loss, it's unlikely that you can write this off. You can read more about the details of these rules in the IRS guidance in Pub 547, although the IRS has not made an explicit ruling on this topic.

Cryptotrader.tax has an interesting discussion of crypto losses in general.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LMiles
Returning Member

I've been looking into this because I have had 3 crypto accounts hacked and drained. I'm not a professional CPA or Tax person of any kind so please do your own verification. From what I can tell, IRS doesn't allow you to claim a loss from crypto currency theft or hacking etc. However, that doesn't mean you have to claim a profit on the transactions that a hacker did which would happen automatically if you simply uploaded your transactions to a crypto tax calculating company \ website such as Cointracker and Koinly to name a few. If you use Cointracker (not sure about Koinly and other providers), which is recommended by Coinbase, to calculate your crypto taxes, you can review all your transactions and mark as appropriate the transactions that you didn't authorize as lost/stolen. This prevents those transactions from being counted as a profit or a loss. I've got to believe that the IRS must be onboard with this knowing that Cointracker, recommended by Coinbase, is enabling you to do this. Please do your own checking.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

To follow-up on the comments from @PatriciaV, you will likely confront the same issue whether your cryptocurrency was stolen outright or whether it was first sold, resulting in a gain, and then removed from your account without your authorization.  At least through 2025, casualty and theft losses relating to personal use property are no longer deductible, except to the extent that the casualty or theft loss occurred in a federally declared disaster area.  

The IRS may likely request additional information from you if you elect to remove certain gains from the sale (albeit unauthorized) of your cryptocurrency.  Given your specific situation, you may want to seek legal guidance on how best to handle this matter.

@LMiles

LMiles
Returning Member

@GeorgeM777

Thank you for your input.

However, marking coins as lost / stolen in Cointracker doesn't translate to claiming a loss which would violate IRS laws. In the googling that I've done, I haven't seen anything that requires stolen crypto to be counted as a gain (as if it were a standard sale with a gain) especially on irs.gov. Maybe I missed it. I do understand the logic that if stolen crypto isn't allowed, then it must be treated as a standard sale. This is where I'm struggling. Please read this article by Shehan Chandrasekera, CPA.   https://www.cointracker.io/blog/how-to-use-irs-deductions-to-reduce-your-crypto-tax-bill   The last sentence in the section titled Casualty & Theft Losses states "If it is past January 1st, 2018, you can mark the sent coins as lost/stolen from the dropdown on the transactions page. This will remove the coins from your portfolio without triggering a capital gain/loss event." Maybe I'm misunderstanding.  According to the authors' bio at       https://www.forbes.com/sites/shehanchandrasekera/?sh=4ac39cb5465e  Shehan is "the Head of Tax Strategy at CoinTracker.io (bitcoin & crypto tax software). He is one of the handful of CPAs in the country who is recognized as a real-world operator and a conceptual subject matter expert on cryptocurrency taxation.

He is a CPE instructor who has been awarded with various awards: 2019 CPA Practice Advisor 40 under 40 accounting professionals, Outstanding Young CPA of the year & Among 21 accountants mentioned on Accounting Today..." I do understand that an article written by a renowned CPA isn't the same thing as getting permission from the IRS to not claim a gain. I appreciate your advice to get legal advice.

What I see is a link to the definitions to know better how to treat a crypto theft, but I don't see how I get TurboTax to open for me form 8949. The criminal who stole is not going to send a 1099-b.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Personal capital losses are not currently allowed. To claim your loss as a sale, you should meet these requirements that Courts have considered factors:

(1) whether legal title has passed;
(2) how the parties treat the transaction;
(3) whether the purchaser has acquired an equity interest in the property;
(4) whether the acquisition creates a present obligation on the seller to transfer legal title for an agreed-upon consideration;
(5) whether the right to possession has vested in the purchaser;
(6) which party pays the property taxes;
(7) whether the purchaser bears the risk of loss (including depreciation in the value of the property) or damage to the property; and
(8) whether the purchaser receives the profits (including appreciation in the value of the property) from the operation and sale of the property.

About Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets states: Purpose of Form 

Use Form 8949 to report sales and exchanges of capital assets. Form 8949 allows you and the IRS to reconcile amounts that were reported to you and the IRS on Forms 1099-B or 1099-S

As @LMiles states from above, after Jan 1, 2018, you can't take a capital loss from theft. 

@eastwood27

AmyC, thank you forclarifying Form 8949.

Unfortunately, you neglected to provide guidance on how to report losses due to theft or scam-loss of crypto currency. Also, WHAT FORMS to use. Hopefully, you will follow up with relevant information.

Thank you in advance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies