Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Can my ex-wife still get the EIC or Dependent Care Credit Only for a child that I am claiming as a dependent? It seems that the "time lived in months" is a huge swing.

"In this instance where we are both claiming a child as dependent HOH"

We just established that You can't do that.

Q. Would we say they lived with each of us for the entire year?

A. That's not possible, unless you're still legally married, and filing a joint return. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Can my ex-wife still get the EIC or Dependent Care Credit Only for a child that I am claiming as a dependent? It seems that the "time lived in months" is a huge swing.

Are you talking about 2 different children? In that case just say 7 months (or more) for the child you are claiming. 

jred81
Returning Member

Perfect that Is what I did.

Removed the girl who my ex will claim with the credit.

Then I set my child to 7 months.

Thank you for your help.

Deleted incomplete response.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You won't be able to do that for 2023, unless you arrange  the children's schedules so that one spends more than half the nights of  the year with you and the other spends more than half with the other parent. 

jred81
Returning Member

Agreed and understood. 

Thanks again for all your help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies