turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taking Foreign Tax Credit on Income exceeding Foreign Earned Income Exclusion threshold

Hello,

I am a foreign resident and have been claiming Foreign Earned income exclusion for past several years for the income I earn in the foreign country. I have also been claiming Foreign Tax credit (FTC) on passive income (bank interest) earned from foreign bank.

This year my income is more than the exclusion threshold of $105,900 (single filing). I read through the forum and I understand that I can claim FTC on income that exceeds this threshold. However I am not clear how this can be done in Turbo Tax.

Do I need to call out this income  exceeding the threshold somewhere under wages and then go fill the Foreign Tax Credit section (form 1116) OR should I just go to Foreign Tax Credit and just fill in this excess amount along with the taxes? I would really appreciate your response.

PS: apologies for the long winded question but I wanted to give enough context.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Taking Foreign Tax Credit on Income exceeding Foreign Earned Income Exclusion threshold

When you complete all of the foreign earned income exclusion screens, the software will keep track of the amount of foreign wages that were not excluded by the foreign earned income exclusion.

To input your foreign taxes, see the following steps:

Proceed to the foreign tax credit section of the return 

1. First screen say yes you paid foreign taxes 

2. Go through a couple of screens, Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes say None of these apply - if they do not apply

3. Click you want the credit 

4. Click through a couple screens and click the income category as General Category income 

5. Add your countryXXXX

6. When you come to the screen Foreign Taxes Paid XXX. enter your taxes in the box for Other Income

7. When you get to the screen, Reduction in Foreign Taxes, you must enter your foreign earned income exclusion in the first box and your total foreign earned income in the second box.  You must reduce your foreign taxes as you cannot take a credit for the income that you have excluded.  Explanation can be $50,000 * 90,302/ 287,499 = $15,705

8. Country Summary - click Done 

9. Click through the screens to the end of the foreign tax credit section.  

If you have passive FTC, you should enter your FTC for your wages first and then the passive income foreign tax.

Please let me know if you have questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
65S

I am following your steps as I've earned over the FEIE in salary while working and living abroad.

I get to Step 7 and I followed your example calculation; however, the category states "Foreign Tax Paid in 2019 For This Category Related to the Prior Year." I was thinking this must be the tax I paid on the salary over the FEIE and did the calculation, but on the next page Turbo Tax is asking for the income basis for this prior year. Can you please clarify this?

Thanks

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

After adding your country, did you get the screen, General Category Income - XX (Your Country) and did you say yes, that your exclusion amount was earned in XX (Your country)?

If you are claiming the foreign earned income exclusion and the foreign tax credit, you only need to fill out the first 2 boxes on the screen Reduction in Foreign Taxes.

2019 Foreign Earned Income Excluded Less Related Deductions    90,302 (as an example only)

Total Foreign Earned Income Less Related Deductions                  287, 499  (example only)

That is all  you need to enter on that screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

Just a quick question about this example.....

2019 Foreign Earned Income Excluded Less Related Deductions    90,302 (as an example only)

Total Foreign Earned Income Less Related Deductions                  287, 499  (example only)

1. How do I get 90,302?? 

2. Is 287,499 total wage?

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies