turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Matterwolf
Returning Member

Stimulus Question

So this is something I haven't been able to figure out through all of the information I've seen but I saw something like this but I can't find it anymore.

I am 18 but I filed as an independent and I filed last year, but my grandparents who are retired only have taxes up until 2018 where they did claim me. But this year nobody has claimed me and that's how I did my taxes. The question is, will I get the Stimulus or will it go off of 2018 where I was claimed as a dependent or my 2019 taxes where it shows I am not (I also do not receive economic support from them anymore I pay for rent and my utilities)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Question

If you filed for 2019 and nobody claimed you, you will automatically get the stimulus payment- regardless of your 2018 filing.  If you had a refund and it was direct deposit, that is where your stimulus will go.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Maxlucy

Stimulus Question

Would u recommend that I amend my already filed 2019 taxes to unclaim a dependent so they can get the stimulus of $1200?  Sounds like a good idea not me still come out $700 ahead

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Question

It depends.  If the person is eligible to be claimed as a dependent on your 2019 tax return, then "No" you should not amend because that person is only eligible to receive the $500 payment for a dependent.

If the person is not eligible to be claimed as a dependent on your 2019 tax return, then "Yes" you should amend to correct the 2019 tax return you filed.

Table 5 from IRS Publication 501 at this link is a good overview of what it takes to claim a depende....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies