turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deuce1313
Returning Member

Special Depreciation Allowance is causing a large Schedule C loss

I am working on a Tax Return for a Self-employed individual who performs Paving and Masonry services. In 2018, he purchased a heavy SUV which was used in the business and the 100% special depreciation allowance was taken. In 2019, the individual purchased a 2019 heavy SUV for $93k (which is being partially financed) which is also used in the business. If the 100% special depreciation allowance is taken, it would create a large loss on the Schedule C and result in negative taxable income and a $0 tax liability. When I run the Turbo Tax review of the Return, it states that this individual is a high audit risk due to having a Schedule C, a significant reduction in business income from the previous year, business expenses are significantly higher than business income and business income is $100k or more. I am thinking about electing out of the special depreciation allowance for 2019 but need to know if that is a wise move and if so, what other depreciation options I have for 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Special Depreciation Allowance is causing a large Schedule C loss

You have posted multiple questions that indicate you are a paid tax preparer.  You are not allowed to use TurboTax as a paid tax preparer.  You will need to find professional tax software to use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies