Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vtlink11

Slot winnings

I was on a carnival cruise and won 43k. Got a 1099 for 43k. Used that money to gamble on while I was on the cruise ship and took home 35k of that 43k. 

how do I report this to the IRS. The 1099 gets reported as income but how do I report the “loss” of 8k plus the 4K I spent of my own money. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Slot winnings

Gambling

To enter the W-2G  or other documents For your Gambling winnings--Go to Federal>Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Gambling Winnings

You can enter your winnings, and then keep clicking through the interview to enter gambling losses.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/how-do-i-claim-my-gambling-winnings-and-or-losses

Gambling winnings are taxable income.  Losses are an itemized deduction.  If you do not have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, your losses will have no effect.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/income-and-investments/how-are-gambling-winnings-taxed-8891/

2023 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $13,850  (65 or older/legally blind + $1850)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,850  (65 or older/legally blind + $1500)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $27,700  (65+/legally blind) )  + $1500 per spouse

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $20,800 (65 or older/blind)  + $1850)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900352-can-i-deduct-my-gambling-losses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vtlink11

Slot winnings

I am going to use itemized deductions. My question is what would I report as “losses” for this. Do I report the difference between my 43k and whatever the win/loss statement says and itemize that? 

for example I win 43k 

i “lose 8k of that plus 5k of my own money and my win loss statement says I “took home” 35k

what gets reported as a loss from this 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Slot winnings

Based on the information's you provided, you have a total gambling loss of $13k.  

Keep in mind, the IRS requires taxpayers to keep an accurate diary or similar record of winnings and losses as well as provide receipts, tickets, or other records in order to deduct gambling losses. 

Taxpayer notes must include the date and type of gambling; the name and address of the gambling venue; the people with whom the taxpayer gambled, if applicable; and the amounts won and lost.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies