turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are Settlement Fees part of Escrow Fees? If yes, where shall I enter those (i.e. Abstract, Legal Fees, Expenses for Seller)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Are Settlement Fees part of Escrow Fees? If yes, where shall I enter those (i.e. Abstract, Legal Fees, Expenses for Seller)?

Settlement fees and Escrow fees are all reported on your HUD-1 statement.

Settlement fees and escrow fees that are added to the cost basis of your home are.

• legal fees to obtain title to the home
  • title search fees
  • title insurance
  • title recording fees
  • transfer taxes, and
  • survey fees.

You can also add to basis any expenses that you paid on the seller's behalf.

dmhamel

Where are all the escrow funds (fees, charges, agent charges) entered online in TurboTax so that it can be added to my filing?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You "settle" or "close" your mortgage refinancing when you sign all the paperwork to officially take out the new loan and pay off the old one. A number of fees and charges may be applied at settlement. These closing costs can add up to hundreds or thousands of dollars and may include such things as:

• Appraisal fees
  • Attorney fees
  • Inspection costs
  • Legal and recording fees

These costs are generally not deductible in a mortgage refinance if they're for your residence.   They are not included on your tax return.   Keep track of the costs and you can add them to the home's basis so when you sell the home, you will have less of a gain.  

Generally, mortgage interest is tax deductible, meaning you can subtract it from your income on your tax return.  When you use TurboTax, it helps you decide which option—itemizing or the standard deduction—will save you more money. At year's end, your mortgage lender sends you a statement, called Form 1098, explaining how much you paid in interest during the year.   @dmhamel

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies