Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Serious Problem with Turbo Tax and entering amounts for annuities

I have three different annuities, each paying the same amount in the year. So I entered the 3 annuities into the TT program to reflect the 1099's I received from the annuity company. When I attempted to file my taxes electronically, I received an error message from Turbo Tax that my e-filing was rejected. When I dug into the explanation, I could see that TT was saying I have entered "duplicate" amounts for my annuities and that I needed to correct the error. Well, there is no error. I received 3 identical amounts for 3 different annuities during the year. So, there was nothing for me to correct. And, if I don't correct the "error" TT won't let me file electronically. Obviously, TT is mistaken about the duplicate amounts for an annuity. But I cannot correct the problem. To add insult to injury, I keep getting emails from TT saying I need to file my return! How can this be fixed?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@mdames 

TTX instituted that error process, just because so many people were erroneously entering the exact same 1099-R more than once.....even though they had only one.

Thus, they really didn't plan on your situation ever happening.....3 separate ones with the exact same amounts. (or extremely rarely happening)

Only workaround I know would work

1099-R#1:  Increase the $ amount distributed by $1

1099-R#2:  Put in the proper exact $$ amount distributed.

1099-R#3:  Decrease the $ amount distributed by $1

Final result should be the exact total taxable distribution on the final form 1040.

(of course, I can't know what's in both your box 1 and 2a.... if box 2a is different, and IF you have a value in box 5 ....might take some more fudging to make each individual 1099-R internally consistent).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@mdames 

TTX instituted that error process, just because so many people were erroneously entering the exact same 1099-R more than once.....even though they had only one.

Thus, they really didn't plan on your situation ever happening.....3 separate ones with the exact same amounts. (or extremely rarely happening)

Only workaround I know would work

1099-R#1:  Increase the $ amount distributed by $1

1099-R#2:  Put in the proper exact $$ amount distributed.

1099-R#3:  Decrease the $ amount distributed by $1

Final result should be the exact total taxable distribution on the final form 1040.

(of course, I can't know what's in both your box 1 and 2a.... if box 2a is different, and IF you have a value in box 5 ....might take some more fudging to make each individual 1099-R internally consistent).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for the reply. I was asking this question after the fact. I simply filed my return by mail in order to be able to file on time. Now, I'll likely have to wait for several months to get my tax refund.

Dang !    That stinks.  The wait will be miserable.  They might even still be working on last year's mail files.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies