turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SEP Contribution - List on 1040 or Not?

I am a sole owner LLC that files an 1120-S and I receive a K-1 generated from TT Business.  On line 17 of the 1120-S it shows my SEP contribution.  However, the K-1 does not reflect it (nothing in box 13).  Thus, I assume that I should report the SEP contribution on the 1040 under the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Plans portion of TT - correct?

Appreciate the assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The SEP contribution is a deductible expense for your S-Corp and has been correctly reported on line 17 of form 1120S.

The SEP contribution is not reported on Schedule K-1 at all and you do not have to report it on your personal tax return (form 1040).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

jtax
Level 10

If you were self employed you would need to deduct the SEP-IRA contribution on your 1040. But as an s-corp owner you don't do that because it has already been deducted on the 1120-s and used to calculate the k-1 box 1. This is a good explanation. See the very end. https://www.upcounsel.com/sep-ira-for-s-corp

a little more detail:

K-1 (1120-S) box 13 is for credits. A SEP-IRA contribution is a deduction not a credit. See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120ssk.pdf page 17-18 for info on Box 13.

On the 1120-S, line 17 is subtracted from the LLC (taxed as an S-Corp)'s income (along with other deductions) to arrive at line 21 ordinary business income/loss. Each owner's share of line 21 is reported on their K-1 box 1. 

So as you can see the SEP is reported on a K-1 line. It is already been used to reduce the business's income. You should not put it on your 1040.

Does that make sense?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes it does, and I appreciate the detailed reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies