turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AZMavDad

Self Employed Moving Expense and Deductions

Hello TurbTaxians! 

My wife is self-employed and we moved from State A to State B to expand her business.  While I understand moving deductions at a personal level are not deductible now, surely they are allowed for the business?  Can an expert weigh in here?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Although personal moving expense are not allowed the cost to move the business assets can be a business expense deductible on the Sch C  only  if they are paid/billed  separately from the total cost of moving.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

For tax years 2018 through 2025, the deduction of certain moving expenses is suspended for nonmilitary taxpayers. In order to deduct certain moving expenses, you must be an active member of the military and moving due to a permanent change of duty station.

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p521--2018.pdf

Although personal moving expense are not allowed the cost to move the business assets can be a business expense deductible on the Sch C  only  if they are paid/billed  separately from the total cost of moving.

AZMavDad

Thank you - so just speaking in general terms.  If part of our move was her stuff and that amounted to $8,000 of cost, I can write that off on Schedule C.  Right?

@AZMavDad wrote:

If part of our move was her stuff and that amounted to $8,000 of cost, I can write that off on Schedule C.  Right?

What constitutes "her stuff"?

As @Critter-3 stated, the only part of the moving costs that would be deductible are those involving business assets (e.g., office furniture, equipment, machinery, et al). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies